Jan 31, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
When he was let go from the Cubs’ GM gig late last season, I thought “well, we won’t have Jim Hendry to kick around anymore.” Guess I was wrong, because ESPN Chicago reports that the Yankees have hired Hendry as an assistant to Brian Cashman.
In all honesty, we really don’t have him to kick around. Quick: name the last time an assistant GM made news for any reason? At least one that wasn’t some 35-year-old GM-in-waiting. Yeah, it’s not exactly a high-profile job, even with the Yankees.
But it’s good news. Hendry may not have made as many good decisions as the Cubs’ GM as bad ones, but like I’ve said a lot of times, you don’t get to be a GM of a major league baseball team unless you’ve excelled on the way to that job in the first place, so the man certainly has something to offer the Yankees. Plus: he’s a damn nice guy.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)