Jan 31, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
When he was let go from the Cubs’ GM gig late last season, I thought “well, we won’t have Jim Hendry to kick around anymore.” Guess I was wrong, because ESPN Chicago reports that the Yankees have hired Hendry as an assistant to Brian Cashman.
In all honesty, we really don’t have him to kick around. Quick: name the last time an assistant GM made news for any reason? At least one that wasn’t some 35-year-old GM-in-waiting. Yeah, it’s not exactly a high-profile job, even with the Yankees.
But it’s good news. Hendry may not have made as many good decisions as the Cubs’ GM as bad ones, but like I’ve said a lot of times, you don’t get to be a GM of a major league baseball team unless you’ve excelled on the way to that job in the first place, so the man certainly has something to offer the Yankees. Plus: he’s a damn nice guy.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (96)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)