Jan 31, 2012, 1:30 PM EST
When he was let go from the Cubs’ GM gig late last season, I thought “well, we won’t have Jim Hendry to kick around anymore.” Guess I was wrong, because ESPN Chicago reports that the Yankees have hired Hendry as an assistant to Brian Cashman.
In all honesty, we really don’t have him to kick around. Quick: name the last time an assistant GM made news for any reason? At least one that wasn’t some 35-year-old GM-in-waiting. Yeah, it’s not exactly a high-profile job, even with the Yankees.
But it’s good news. Hendry may not have made as many good decisions as the Cubs’ GM as bad ones, but like I’ve said a lot of times, you don’t get to be a GM of a major league baseball team unless you’ve excelled on the way to that job in the first place, so the man certainly has something to offer the Yankees. Plus: he’s a damn nice guy.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)