Jan 31, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
When he was let go from the Cubs’ GM gig late last season, I thought “well, we won’t have Jim Hendry to kick around anymore.” Guess I was wrong, because ESPN Chicago reports that the Yankees have hired Hendry as an assistant to Brian Cashman.
In all honesty, we really don’t have him to kick around. Quick: name the last time an assistant GM made news for any reason? At least one that wasn’t some 35-year-old GM-in-waiting. Yeah, it’s not exactly a high-profile job, even with the Yankees.
But it’s good news. Hendry may not have made as many good decisions as the Cubs’ GM as bad ones, but like I’ve said a lot of times, you don’t get to be a GM of a major league baseball team unless you’ve excelled on the way to that job in the first place, so the man certainly has something to offer the Yankees. Plus: he’s a damn nice guy.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)