Feb 1, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
The news comes as no surprise, but we’ll pass it along anyway on this slow Wednesday evening.
Cespedes was granted major league free agency last week and is planning to travel from the Dominican Republic to the United States within the next few days in order meet with teams that have expressed interest in him. Like the Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Tigers and Orioles. And probably a few others.
Cespedes batted .333/.424/.667 with 33 home runs and 99 RBI in 90 games last year in Cuba.
He’s got a chance to command more than $40 million on a guaranteed major league contract.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)