Feb 1, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
The news comes as no surprise, but we’ll pass it along anyway on this slow Wednesday evening.
Cespedes was granted major league free agency last week and is planning to travel from the Dominican Republic to the United States within the next few days in order meet with teams that have expressed interest in him. Like the Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Tigers and Orioles. And probably a few others.
Cespedes batted .333/.424/.667 with 33 home runs and 99 RBI in 90 games last year in Cuba.
He’s got a chance to command more than $40 million on a guaranteed major league contract.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)