Feb 1, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
The news comes as no surprise, but we’ll pass it along anyway on this slow Wednesday evening.
Cespedes was granted major league free agency last week and is planning to travel from the Dominican Republic to the United States within the next few days in order meet with teams that have expressed interest in him. Like the Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Tigers and Orioles. And probably a few others.
Cespedes batted .333/.424/.667 with 33 home runs and 99 RBI in 90 games last year in Cuba.
He’s got a chance to command more than $40 million on a guaranteed major league contract.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 6
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 52
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)