Feb 1, 2012, 7:10 PM EST
The news comes as no surprise, but we’ll pass it along anyway on this slow Wednesday evening.
Cespedes was granted major league free agency last week and is planning to travel from the Dominican Republic to the United States within the next few days in order meet with teams that have expressed interest in him. Like the Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Tigers and Orioles. And probably a few others.
Cespedes batted .333/.424/.667 with 33 home runs and 99 RBI in 90 games last year in Cuba.
He’s got a chance to command more than $40 million on a guaranteed major league contract.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (150)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)