Feb 1, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
The news comes as no surprise, but we’ll pass it along anyway on this slow Wednesday evening.
Cespedes was granted major league free agency last week and is planning to travel from the Dominican Republic to the United States within the next few days in order meet with teams that have expressed interest in him. Like the Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Tigers and Orioles. And probably a few others.
Cespedes batted .333/.424/.667 with 33 home runs and 99 RBI in 90 games last year in Cuba.
He’s got a chance to command more than $40 million on a guaranteed major league contract.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)