In Kansas City, “your beer is going to be cooled by the sun”

Feb 1, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT

solar-panels

But wait? How?!

The Kansas City Royals baseball team is getting greener with the largest in-stadium solar array generating electricity in Major League Baseball.

The 160 solar panels, which have been installed and tested, are expected to produce 36,000 kilowatt hours of electricity per year, which is enough to power for four homes. That won’t be enough to meet all the stadium’s electricity needs but should provide most if not all of a crucial element of the game.

“Your beer is going to be cooled by the sun,” said Chuck Caisley, a spokesman for Kansas City Power & Light.

Kind of cool. And the article addresses what was my first thought when I started reading it and saw that, unlike some other ballparks, the Royals’ solar array is inside the ballpark: how on Earth do you keep those panels from not reflecting onto the field and distracting everyone.

Of course as more and more teams start adding solar panels to their parks, someone is going to have to go all “Moneyball” on us and exploit some inefficiencies here.  Maybe the A’s or the Rays or someone to go all geothermal on us soon.  Maybe the Phillies will install wind turbines to harness the breezes from Ryan Howard‘s mighty hacks.

The future is awesome.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Feb 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM

“Maybe the Phillies will install wind turbines to harness the breezes from Ryan Howard’s mighty hacks.”
    First of all, you just had to go there, didn’t you? Secondly, when he swings and misses it is more like flailing. Lastly, I expect better trolling out of you Craig, I really do. That is like a Drew Silva attempt at trolling right there.

• kiwicricket - Feb 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

‘Flailing’ is only 18% less efficient at energy production than ‘hacking’.
      Neither are good for the Phillies, both are good for the environment.

• mrfloydpink - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM

First of all, I thought it was one of Craig’s pithier remarks.

Second, seriously dude, you don’t need to spend so much time defending the honor of the Phillies and/or Ryan Howard. They are a fine team, and he’s a fine player who’s going to be overpaid for the next five years. Everyone knows these things, and any other chatter is simply to kill the time until spring training. So go relax and untwist your panties.

• drmonkeyarmy - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I wouldn’t need to spend so much time “defending the honor” of Ryan Howard if there wasn’t an inordinate amount of Howard bashing on this blog over the past year. Believe me, I would rather not spend any time going over the merits of Ryan Howard for what must be the 10th time in the past 8 months. It is a topic that has been beat to death. Craig throws them in to bait us Phillies phans. I have gotten use to it. I just thought he is usually more clever about it. Lastly, I thought when I used the term “flailing” to describe his swing, it was implied that I wasn’t taking it too seriously.

• paperlions - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM

If you haven’t realized by now that people are actually bashing you (Howard defenders) and not Howard himself….well, I don’t know what else to tell ya.

• mrfloydpink - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM

To the extent that Craig does “bait” you, it’s because the Phillies fans deserve it. I mean, with booing Santa Claus, and cheering a possibly-paralyzed Michael Irvin, and all that, the sports fans of that city have had a bad reputation for quite a while. And the time I have spent on this board has suggested it is well-deserved. Virtually all of the most annoying posters–you, Fiorentino (much of the time), Bicepts (or whatever the hell he calls himself these days)–seem to be Phillies fans.

This is not to say that all the Phillies fans are jerks–phillyphreak, Utley’s hair, etc. seem to be cool. But there do seem to be an unusually high number of jerks, for lack of a better term.

• CJ - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:30 AM

well, Mr. Floyd, I guess it’s a good thing those things only happen in Philly and not anywhere else like New York, LA, Dallas, or any other large metropolis that just so happens to to cram a bunch of drunk people into a confined space. Because if that truly were the case, than you wouldn’t have much of a point. Oh yeah………..about that…

However, I’ll give you a couple extra points for creativity in brining up the Irvin thing as opposed to the usual ones everyone else brings up.

• drmonkeyarmy - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Paper,
        That line of reasoning is exactly what I am talking about. There is an inordinate amount of Howard bashing on this blog. There must have been at least 10 posts since the start of last Spring Training dedicated to how overrated he is. I am just saying, it is a bit much. We get the point. He is overpaid and strikes out too much. No shit….I don’t think you will find a Phillies phan that will disagree with that. It just trends to far the other way for my liking. It is all just so negative, I feel obligated to put some positive attributes in there.

Floyd,
        You just prove your overwhelming ignorance by rehashing the same stereotypes the media has fed you while looking for confirmation of them. So, if you have some type of problem with me or find me “annoying” or whatever…the solution is simple, don’t reply to me or engage me in any type of way. Problem solved. Instead, you just want to bitch about it. So, I don’t know what to tell you. I don’t go around personally insulting people or making racist, sexist, or homophobic comments…just my opinions on baseball related topics. If you have a problem with that, well tough luck.

• paperlions - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:59 PM

If you didn’t rise to the bait every singe time…..it wouldn’t be so much for those doing the baiting.

You also have to realize that when the GM of the team says things that are so patently false and borderline retarded with regard to his own players (not just his over-rating of Howard, but how much he under-values his own young stud lefty)…that people are going to bash those observations no matter which GM/players are involved.

• paperlions - Feb 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM

*fun….”…so much FUN for those….)

• drmonkeyarmy - Feb 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I do realize RAJ’s comments were ridiculous but what did you want him to say? Yes, we screwed the pooch on that deal….before the contract even begins? I don’t see how this is fun…rehashing the same debate over and over and over. It doesn’t piss me off that people have differing opinions…seems to piss off this Floyd character though. It just is tedious. At this point in time I think everybody knows the weaknesses of Howard, why bring them up constantly? Shit man, find something else to troll Phillies phans about. For instance, the whole “future is murky at best”…that was worthwhile and a decent subject to debate.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM

You mean the way that you ALWAYS bring up Ortiz’s PED charge EVERY FRIGGIN’ time there’s a story on him?

THAT kind of trolling?

• drmonkeyarmy - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Are you talking about me bringing up Ortiz stuff? If you are, I have never done so. Maybe you are thinking of somebody else.

2. mooseinohio - Feb 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Wonder if there is a ‘green’ Roy Hobbs on the roster?

3. kiwicricket - Feb 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Use it to cool beer. Stupid sun! That will show it for giving us free energy.

4. Tyree Studio - Feb 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

This is actually pretty cool. I can’t wait to see these in person sometime this summer. Maybe Hosmer can crack one with a HR blast. :)

Any money saved on the electric bill out at the K though will surely be pocketed by David Glass.

• dwrek5 - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Dont mean to be supper serious internet guy, but Mr Glass will not be saving any money here. Takes forever to see a ROI with solar panels. Nice way to conserve energy, not cash.

5. paperlions - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Because solar panels face the sun and are more efficient when the angle of incidence approximates 90 degrees, and because these panels likely have the necessary hydraulics to turn the panels to face the sun as it moves through the sky, to see any reflection off of them you will need to be higher than the panels…meaning it will be impossible to have glare on the field.

• halflight420 - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM

yupp i logged in to say this, my brother installs solar panels in california for a living, there will be zero glare problem

• cur68 - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Thanks for the info, gents. Am gonna be at Kaufman this summer and I was afeared that my tender, bulging orbs would be abused by the mightily reflected rays of Sol.

6. detroitcityryda - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM

They gotta keep them there through nine innings so they need the beer cool , when fielder and mighty miggy are tearing the solar system

7. Matt - Feb 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Damned hippies….I will only drink the beer if it is cooled by the frozen tears collected from the woodland creatures as I cut down their homes to heat mine.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2529)