Mark Teixeira is in the Best Shape of His Life

Feb 1, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT

teixeira2

Overlooked this in that Mark Teixeira-will-bunt-article, but …

Teixeira tweeted Tuesday that he lost 14 pounds this offseason.  “I didn’t feel like I needed to, but I’m always trying to get better. I know that the older that I get, the more important nutrition is, any chance I get to make myself lighter, faster, more energy, is going to be better for my game. It just kind of happened. I started changing my diet a little bit, I started drinking a lot more raw juice. It really helped.”

Unofficially, I believe that Yankees players are dominating the BSOHL tally this season.

1. kiwicricket - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Can someone explain to me what ‘raw juice’ is???
    I am not googling it.

• shawnuel - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM

That just means not bottled. He has a juicer at home, most likely.

I think that Franklin Gutierrez may need to be on this list as well. He gained 19 pounds and feels “great, stronger than I’ve ever felt.” Mariners are driving the BSOHL train!

• kopy - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I was hesitant on adding Gutierrez to BSOHL, but I now think it is fair to include him. I found an article where the Mariners trainer said that Gutierrez is the best he’s seen him “in two years.” At first I thought this was damning evidence against his candidacy. However, Eric Wedge is also quoted as saying Gutierrez is “as strong as I’ve ever seen him.”

Wedge, while relatively new to the Mariners, was with Gutierrez in Cleveland from 2005-08. That’s a pretty loud statement.

Franklin Gutierrez, BSOHL.

• kiwicricket - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Diligent. We expect a full report before the start of the season. A word of caution though….there are those among us who were a little quick to pull the trigger on the BSOHL gun last season. I am sure ‘Camp Panda’ has left somewhat of sour taste still in our collective palates.

Please ensure all candidates are backed by statistical, visual(naked or otherwise) and nutritional reasoning.

• Max Power - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I think that “raw juice” is just juice. As opposed to “cooked juice” which most people call “soup.”

2. yankeesfanlen - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM

If we continue with this BSOHL nonsense, pretty soon we’ll have the Giambino back. What we need, Tex, is power hitting,ot health food testimonials

• Kevin S. - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I would love to have the Giambino back as the long half of the DH platoon. Is it really going to take that much to pry Colorado’s pinch hitter away? One of the IIATMS guys (Brien, I think) is the one who I first saw float the idea, but he makes far more sense for the Yanks than any of the other names I’ve seen floated since the Montero trade.

3. jebsta16 - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Same non story with this guy. Every year he is in the best shape of his life. This guy is a tool

4. kopy - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Well let’s make this official. BSOHL players are currently the market inefficiency, as the team with the most BSOHL players on the roster is team Free Agent. Seattle currently has 2 confirmed BSOHL players on the roster. The Yankees will pull into a tie when Phil Hughes arrives in camp, forcing a written journalistic confirmation of his BSOHL status. Keep an eye out for wild card “Touch ‘em all” Bill Hall, who has been linked in rumors to the Yankees, and could push the Bronx Bombers into undisputed BSOHL status.

Official 2012 BSOHL Roster

Yoenis Cespedes FA

Awaiting Confirmation:
    Phil Hughes NYY
    Brett Cecil TOR
    Bill Hall FA

• natstowngreg - Feb 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

On one level, I applaud this public service. On another level, isn’t it a little odd to be compiling a BSOHL list?

• wlschneider09 - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Hell no, that’s how we roll around here. Next up, BSOHL list with career WAR values.

5. proudlycanadian - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:17 AM

He was at his peak as a hitter from 2004 to 2009. His BA, Slugging Percentage and OPS declined in 2010 and stayed low compared to his previous standards in 2011. I doubt that he will ever again be the hitter that he used to be while in his prime.

• bigharold - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

“I doubt that he will ever again be the hitter that he used to be while in his prime.”

How do you come to this conclusion? Technically he’s still in his prime.

The issues seems to be his desire to hit a HR every time he gets up, .. especially LH at the stadium. It seems that he became a LH dead pull hitter as soon as he signed with the Yankees. Prior to signing with the Yankees he he was a life time .290 hitter, .. since .266. His slugging and on base percentage are slight off but HR are up.

He still hits the ball hard but not as regularly which seems to have more to do with his approach than his skills. If he can get a few balls in play to beat the shift enough that they stop using it against him, I think his average will bounce back. If he’s lost anything, it isn’t really showing, .. at least yet.

• cur68 - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I wonder if its a Granderson affect? He sees Grandy caving up the baseball and says something like “I’m twice that scrawny bugger’s size! I can out homer him!” and goes up there hacking. You seer this in golf all the time: play with a big hitter, try to play like a big hitter: suck.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM

He is now in his thirties Harold. His peak was in 2009 and he is in a decline.

• bigharold - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM

You really cant’t say that he’s in decline, .. as if there is a perceptible trend, .. when his OBP and slugging % are very slightly off but his HRs are actually up on average. If his BA wasn’t noticeably off there wouldn’t be a thing to suggest that he’s in “decline”. And, I don’t think that has anything to do with his skills eroding but rather his approach.

If you are sure he’s in decline, .. what is the evidence?

• proudlycanadian - Feb 1, 2012 at 2:55 PM

His home runs are holding up because of the short right field fence in the new Yankee Stadium. Between 2009 and 2010 there was a sharp drop in BA, Slugging and OPS. The decline was not reversed in 2011. 2009 39 HR .292 BA, .565 SLG .948 OPS. 2010 33 HR 256 BA .481 SLG, .846 OPS. 2011 39 HR .242 BA .494 SLG .835 OPS He is still a dangerous hitter, but the stats show a clear decline in his 30’s.

• bigharold - Feb 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

“His home runs are holding up because of the short right field fence in the new Yankee Stadium. ”

Wrong, his HR totals are not holding up they are better. Percentage wise his increase in HR matches his decrease in BA. His OBP SLG percentages are only off slightly contrary to your description. Also his SO numbers as a Yankee is almost identical to his non-Yankee years.

The bottom line is his average has suffered because of his emphasis on hitting HRs and the increase in the average number of HRs proves that his approch is working but at the cost of his average. Other than his average there is no “sharp drop” in his core stats that supports your thesis.

If he changes his approach towards the shift I would think that his average will return and his HR totals shouldn’t suffer too much.

6. marshmallowsnake - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM

He still hits .250 this year…

7. crnvic847 - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Jeez it seems like every pro athlete this year “is in the best shape of their life.”

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3557)