MLB Network will broadcast Jose Reyes’ haircut

Feb 1, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

Jose Reyes Getty Images

What does a television channel devoted to baseball show in the middle of the winter? Haircuts, apparently.

Jose Reyes‘ agent revealed that the Marlins shortstop will get his dreadlocks cut off Friday and it will air live on MLB Network.

Reyes knew he’d have to cut his hair when he signed with the Marlins, who have a team policy banning long hair.

I got a haircut a few weeks ago and decided to time it, because I was bored and curious … and weird. It took four minutes and 52 seconds, from sit down to stand up. Something tells me MLB Network might try to drag it out for a bit longer. After all, my haircut didn’t involve a commercial break.

1. proudlycanadian - Feb 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I guess that he can now afford a haircut.

• sdelmonte - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Why do you think he left NYC? When it costs $20 at Supercuts, you know you are in trouble.

2. sdelmonte - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I never get team policies about hair or facial hair in this day and age.

And having just read a book about Charlie Finley’s A’s, it’s clear that sometimes letting players express a little tonsorial personality is a good thing.

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I wouldn’t necessarily argue with the Yankees success either…

• sahyder1 - Feb 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Yes deathmonkey41. The Yankees win because they have well groomed players and not because they can go spend more then most of the league and buy the best players.

3. cur68 - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM

He’s got great hair. Its iconically great hair, in fact. Some guys rock the ‘stache (Morris, Eck, Fingers) others the no hair look (Buhner, Bernie Williams, Puckett). Kind of a defining thing about them. Jose Reyes without the great hair loses that image of THE Jose Reyes, one of the best shortstops in MLB. Jose Reyes without hair is less marketable than Jose Reyes with hair. This is a really bad move.

• sdelmonte - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Never mind that his powers come from never getting a haircut.

Or am I thinking of David Samson?

• cur68 - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Yeah, I saw what you did there…

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I think as long as he lives up to that contract, they really won’t care what his hair looks like. If he kept the hair and sucked, he wouldn’t be very marketable either. But I will admit, I worked at an oil refinery in the past and was forced to shave my goatee. Every time I looked in the mirror, a small piece of me died. So glad to be out of there.

• cur68 - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

The Feesh’s only hope of attracting fans revolve around Reyes and players of stature and accomplishment like him. Diminishing their stature and recognition value is a bad marketing move. That hair really makes him stand out. Its ludicrous to have him cut it off.

Then there’s the whole superstition value of his hair. It shouldn’t come as surprise to ANYONE that ballplayers are notoriously superstitious. Here I quote:
        “-Crash Davis: I told him that a player on a streak has to respect the streak.
        -Annie Savoy: Oh fine.
        -Crash Davis: You know why? Because they don’t – -they don’t happen very often.
        -Annie Savoy: Right.
        -Crash Davis: If you believe you’re playing well because you’re getting laid, or because you’re not getting laid, or because you wear women’s underwear, then you are! And you should know that!”

The Feesh should know that. Reyes is coming off one his best seasons. A season featuring that awesome hair. If he doesn’t measure up, or becomes injured quickly, how long before baseball people start commenting on that haircut? Do the Feesh really need that?

• Old Gator - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Ah, and are we now just coming around to realize that these people are a colossal bunch of assholes? Certainly, nothing in their backgrounds or histories could have prepared us for this.

Incidentally, is anyone surprised that Craig turfed this particular story to Aaron?

• aceshigh11 - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM

What the hell did Steinbrenner trade Jay Buhner for, anyway?

• cur68 - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Well maybe Big George was having a shower one day in the club house and…

4. mplsjoe - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Craig, do I really need to point out that Jose Reyes has, ahem, a bit more hair than you do, and that it might take longer to cut his? As a follically challenged individual myself, I’m surprised it took almost five minutes to cut your hair.

• cur68 - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Pssst: its Gleeman who wrote this post. He’s got a great head of hair (so he says). This, by the by, is precisely why I think Craig didn’t write this up: he knew what we’d all say.

• Old Gator - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

See above.

Heh, heh…

That’s a joke….

5. JB (the original) - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Can’t have long hair, but those mo- and faux- hawks most of the team was sporting are sooooo classy

• JB (the original) - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM

sh*t, I was thinking of the Rays.

6. vanmorrissey - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Please, this is TV worthy? Are they next going to televise Arod’s facials? Now that I would want to see.

7. cruuuzcontrol - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:02 PM

The MARLINS have an appearance policy?? That’s classic.

8. unlost1 - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM

can’t wait for the Nielsen ratings

9. The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I’m all for this if they do the entire show as a parody of the LeBron James nonsense from a couple of years back.

Jose Reyes: THE DECISION
    Crew Cut, Butch Cut, or High and Tight?

THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW!

10. phukyouk - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM

SO, he took his talents to Miami but the hair stays behind?

11. bigleagues - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM

On the extremely outside chance that someone at MLB Network reads this comment, I propose a scientific experiment as part of Reyes Salon Extravaganza . . .

Let’s end this debate once and for all . . . I want to see Reyes run through drills pre and post ‘dreadcut’ (I think I just named my new band ;-)

Let’s see if Reyes runs faster, slower or the same pre and post dreads. Is he faster, slower or the same leaving the box after contact (or do the dreads create a counter force as he turns to toward Firstbase).

Ya know things like that . . .

12. phillyphreak - Feb 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Seriously has me considering to change my Super Bowl party to a Hair Cut party…..but I think it would only work if he got a bowl cut.

13. natstowngreg - Feb 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM

MLB Network is still relatively new, and doesn’t have enough programming to fill a 24/7 schedule. After all, you can only re-run Kevin Millar so many hours a day before your network is declared a public health hazard.

14. kjt929 - Feb 1, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Whatever

15. cool10857 - Feb 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Who cares….

16. christopherhowland - Feb 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM

As a life-long Mets fan living in naples Florida. I can’t wait to be THAT guy at the ugly new marlins park to boo the crap out of this guy.. lol yea I said it

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5355)