The Mets hope to sell ten minority shares by the end of February

Feb 1, 2012, 11:03 AM EDT

mets logo hat AP

When last we heard of the Mets’ sale of $20 million minority stakes in the team, they were allegedly close to closing on the sale of five shares.  That as early January, and as of yet, they haven’t closed.  At least as far as we know. Here’s the latest from Steven Marcus of Newsday:

The Mets expect to sell 10 minority shares of the team by the end of February, a person familiar with the process said Monday … It previously was believed that the Mets would close on a minimum of four units by the end of January. No reason was given for the new timetable or whether the closings would take place at the same time. None of the potential investors has been revealed.

Next month’s headlines today:  “Mets expect to close on ten shares by Opening Day” and “Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.”

1. owenpoin - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

The Wilpons are dead. Long live the Wilpons.

2. kiwicricket - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I’m taking bets as of….now, people.
    Over or under 5 buy the end of Feb.

My Rupees are on less-than-5. Most likely none.

3. dlevalley - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

In related news, I will be selling minority shares in myself over the next week.

Minority shareholders in dlevalley will get the satisfaction of knowing they are helping put a top-notch performer in the office every day.*

Information on where to send payment will be forthcoming. Don’t miss out on this incredible opportunity.

*No other benefits included. Minority shareholders obtain no management votes, nor input on course-of-business operations. Minority shareholders shall not criticize in-the-office decisions made by managing partners, especially with regard to how little work dlevalley actually does during the work-day. dlevalley may ask your opinion on whether to get a sandwich or a salad for lunch, but retains full control to completely ignore shareholder’s input. Minority shareholders may receive an invite to dlevalley’s superbowl party this weekend, but said shareholders will have to sit in the back of the living room and drink the bud light that dlevalley’s cheap-ass friends will inevitably bring.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM

And yet, you may have more of a chance selling minority shares than the Mets.

• Old Gator - Feb 2, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Can white Anglo-Saxon Protestants buy minority shares, or is this strictly an affirmative action project like all those bogus managerial interviews?

4. cur68 - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I am declaring a personal moratorium on Mets commentary until there is a post about the Mets that is nothing but good news. They are dead to me till then.

• phukyouk - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM

soooooooo 2015?

• Old Gator - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I am declaring no such moratorium. There are endless opportunities for snark out there. Give them up without a good reason? Not on your life.

5. seannymo - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:21 PM

cur68…how is this bad news? ok so they didnt close by jan with 5 investors…but now they have 10. sounds pretty good to me

6. stex52 - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Thanks for the update, Winston. Still looks like a bad deal to me, but I don’t have 20 MM$, so who cares what I think?

7. cool10857 - Feb 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Who gives a shit anyway?

Three legends off to Cooperstown