Feb 1, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT
What’s more soul-killing: the lack of substantive baseball stories in the dead of winter or the proliferation of fluffy-nothing football stories a few days before the Super Bowl?
Kind of an existential question. Maybe the fluff football stories are worse in some way because, really, it’s not like there isn’t a lot of substantive, legit football things to talk about right now so there’s way less of an excuse for them. Baseball stories right now may be silly — like, really silly — but it’s not like there’s a big baseball game this weekend. Probably doesn’t matter.
Anyway, we now have crossover of the fluff football and the fluff baseball, as the Derek Jeter of football — Tom Brady — says that he loves the Tom Brady of baseball — Derek Jeter:
Tom Brady usually evokes man-crushes, but when it comes to Derek Jeter, the Patriots’ star quarterback gets giddy like a schoolgirl. The two-time NFL MVP and husband of supermodel Gisele Bundchen gushed Tuesday that he’s a big fan of the Yankees captain.
What follows are (a) quotes from Brady about how he loves the way Jeter plays the game (yawn); and (b) a tale-of-the-tape comparing the charms of Derek Jeter to that of Gisele. Bonus: one of them is pictured in their underwear.
Sorry, Yankees fans, it’s not Jeter.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 14
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 54
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)