What a surprise: Tom Brady loves the way Derek Jeter plays the game

Feb 1, 2012, 11:40 AM EST

Super Bowl XLVI - Media Day Getty Images

What’s more soul-killing: the lack of substantive baseball stories in the dead of winter or the proliferation of fluffy-nothing football stories a few days before the Super Bowl?

Kind of an existential question. Maybe the fluff football stories are worse in some way because, really, it’s not like there isn’t a lot of substantive, legit football things to talk about right now so there’s way less of an excuse for them. Baseball stories right now may be silly — like, really silly — but it’s not like there’s a big baseball game this weekend.  Probably doesn’t matter.

Anyway, we now have crossover of the fluff football and the fluff baseball, as the Derek Jeter of football — Tom Brady — says that he loves the Tom Brady of baseball — Derek Jeter:

Tom Brady usually evokes man-crushes, but when it comes to Derek Jeter, the Patriots’ star quarterback gets giddy like a schoolgirl. The two-time NFL MVP and husband of supermodel Gisele Bundchen gushed Tuesday that he’s a big fan of the Yankees captain.

What follows are (a) quotes from Brady about how he loves the way Jeter plays the game (yawn); and (b) a tale-of-the-tape comparing the charms of Derek Jeter to that of Gisele. Bonus: one of them is pictured in their underwear.

Sorry, Yankees fans, it’s not Jeter.

1. anotheryx - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Everyone in NE still secretly remember Tom and his Yankees hat.

• El Bravo - Feb 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Is that before or after they remember Tom and those three (four?) Super Bowls he brought to NE? [not that I care either way]

2. proudlycanadian - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Brady was a very good catcher in high school and was drafted by the Expos. They did try to sign him, but he decided on football instead. Even today, some old time scouts think that Brady would have been a great baseball player. There is a story about him in today’s Toronto Globe and Mail headlined “What might have been”

• Kyle - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Very cool, I did not know that. Thanks for passing that along.

• kopy - Feb 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM

On the flip side, Joe Mauer was the High School Player of the Year as a quarterback, and turned down scholarship offers for football when he was drafted by the Twins.

3. Matt Adams - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM

“Really?! Cuz I like the way you play too!”

“Wow, that’s really cool. Do you think that maybe…if you’re not doing anything later…”

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM

And then Brady comes home to the wife saying: Look who autographed me a baseball honey!!!!

• phukyouk - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I swear i just choked on my lunch… and it was worth it.. PURE FUCKING GOLD!

• stex52 - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Has to win for the best line today. Good job.

4. APBA Guy - Feb 1, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I’d say local boy (San Mateo native) Tom Brady has done alright for himself. Hard to believe he was a catcher at Serra HS (Barry Bonds alma mater). Giselle is probably one of the very, very few models currently working who deserves the “Super” prefix. Her $ 45M annual haul dwarfs the #2 on the list, Heidi Klum at $ 20M.

• phukyouk - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I hear for Jeter he would consider being catcher again…

5. cur68 - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I was totally gonna ignore this (because I could give a crap about what Tom Brady thinks) but I was reeled in like a large mouth bass by the words “Bonus: one of them is pictured in their underwear.” & “Sorry, Yankees fans, it’s not Jeter.”

Yup. Giselle in her spangly undergarments. Nice. However, I think we need a side by side comparison of Giselle and Minka, for purposes of comparison.
    Is the Yankee Captain’s Hottie hotter than the Patriot’s Captain’s? This topic would, I think, keep us all going all day. Ball’s in your court, Craig.

• lanpar - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM

cur68 – totally agree….think today’s reporters have no imagination stupid stories!

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Wait, Craig WASN’T lying?

• Jonny 5 - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I would prefer Minka myself. Except Jeter’s been there. And that’s scary.

• cur68 - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Yeah, she’d need a bout a 2 month cooling off period (not unlike radioactive material) before you’d dare touch her with anything you valued.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM

That and a date with a pressure washer. All that aside though I think Minka is way hotter than Gisele. Although 45 M per could make me forget that as well.

6. woodenulykteneau - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM

This confuses me because Tom Brady actually is as good as everyone thinks he is.

7. Jonny 5 - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

If anyone thinks Brady meant the game of baseball when he said how “he loves the way Jeter plays the game”? Well let’s just say they are sorely mistaken. The saying, “Don’t hate the playa, hate the game is never uttered to the best at “the game”. I mean, c’mon a gift basket?? All hail the master of “the game”, Derek Jeter.

• cur68 - Feb 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I wish I’d said this…

• stex52 - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I got the same feeling when I read it. Which game?? Now you are talking about our really favorite game.

8. jason9696 - Feb 1, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I wonder how he feels about A-Rod?

• proudlycanadian - Feb 1, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I am sure he would channel his inner Len and say “Leave Arod alone”.

• natstowngreg - Feb 1, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Never mind A-Rod, what about Michael Young?

9. thefalcon123 - Feb 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I also love the way Jeter plays the game, like when he pretends to hurt his hand after being hit by pitches that didn’t actually hit him…

• greynraney - Feb 1, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Nice video reminder – I remember losing a lot of respect for Jeter after seeing that and thinking he’s better than that. Play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4020)