Feb 2, 2012, 9:06 PM EDT
We linked the Deadspin story about Brian Cashman’s alleged extramarital affair this morning. Turns out that there’s a heck of a lot more to it. Seems the woman Deadspin interviewed has been arrested and charged with extortion:
A woman has been charged with stalking and shaking down New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman.
Louise Neathway is being arraigned Thursday night in a Manhattan court. Prosecutors say she extorted $6,000 from Cashman, tried to squeeze $15,000 more and engaged in “a long-term effort to control and manipulate” him.
The woman in Deadspin’s story went by the name of “Lou” so it’s probably the same person. Her lawyers deny the extortion charge and say she’ll be vindicated. Cashman’s spokesman says he’s grateful that it’s in the hands of law enforcement.
What really happened is anyone’s guess. It’s possible that this woman is delusional, there’s nothing to the Deadspin story and that A.J. Daulerio was suckered. It’s possible it was an affair-gone-bad, leading to extortion. It’s possible that she’s delusional and no laws were broken. It’s possible that there was an affair, she’s not delusional and no laws were broken. And about six other possibilities too.
But overall: ugly, no matter what went down.
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 25
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 66
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)