Feb 2, 2012, 9:06 PM EDT
We linked the Deadspin story about Brian Cashman’s alleged extramarital affair this morning. Turns out that there’s a heck of a lot more to it. Seems the woman Deadspin interviewed has been arrested and charged with extortion:
A woman has been charged with stalking and shaking down New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman.
Louise Neathway is being arraigned Thursday night in a Manhattan court. Prosecutors say she extorted $6,000 from Cashman, tried to squeeze $15,000 more and engaged in “a long-term effort to control and manipulate” him.
The woman in Deadspin’s story went by the name of “Lou” so it’s probably the same person. Her lawyers deny the extortion charge and say she’ll be vindicated. Cashman’s spokesman says he’s grateful that it’s in the hands of law enforcement.
What really happened is anyone’s guess. It’s possible that this woman is delusional, there’s nothing to the Deadspin story and that A.J. Daulerio was suckered. It’s possible it was an affair-gone-bad, leading to extortion. It’s possible that she’s delusional and no laws were broken. It’s possible that there was an affair, she’s not delusional and no laws were broken. And about six other possibilities too.
But overall: ugly, no matter what went down.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 12
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 16
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 12
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)