Feb 2, 2012, 9:06 PM EST
We linked the Deadspin story about Brian Cashman’s alleged extramarital affair this morning. Turns out that there’s a heck of a lot more to it. Seems the woman Deadspin interviewed has been arrested and charged with extortion:
A woman has been charged with stalking and shaking down New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman.
Louise Neathway is being arraigned Thursday night in a Manhattan court. Prosecutors say she extorted $6,000 from Cashman, tried to squeeze $15,000 more and engaged in “a long-term effort to control and manipulate” him.
The woman in Deadspin’s story went by the name of “Lou” so it’s probably the same person. Her lawyers deny the extortion charge and say she’ll be vindicated. Cashman’s spokesman says he’s grateful that it’s in the hands of law enforcement.
What really happened is anyone’s guess. It’s possible that this woman is delusional, there’s nothing to the Deadspin story and that A.J. Daulerio was suckered. It’s possible it was an affair-gone-bad, leading to extortion. It’s possible that she’s delusional and no laws were broken. It’s possible that there was an affair, she’s not delusional and no laws were broken. And about six other possibilities too.
But overall: ugly, no matter what went down.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)