Feb 2, 2012, 9:06 PM EDT
We linked the Deadspin story about Brian Cashman’s alleged extramarital affair this morning. Turns out that there’s a heck of a lot more to it. Seems the woman Deadspin interviewed has been arrested and charged with extortion:
A woman has been charged with stalking and shaking down New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman.
Louise Neathway is being arraigned Thursday night in a Manhattan court. Prosecutors say she extorted $6,000 from Cashman, tried to squeeze $15,000 more and engaged in “a long-term effort to control and manipulate” him.
The woman in Deadspin’s story went by the name of “Lou” so it’s probably the same person. Her lawyers deny the extortion charge and say she’ll be vindicated. Cashman’s spokesman says he’s grateful that it’s in the hands of law enforcement.
What really happened is anyone’s guess. It’s possible that this woman is delusional, there’s nothing to the Deadspin story and that A.J. Daulerio was suckered. It’s possible it was an affair-gone-bad, leading to extortion. It’s possible that she’s delusional and no laws were broken. It’s possible that there was an affair, she’s not delusional and no laws were broken. And about six other possibilities too.
But overall: ugly, no matter what went down.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 1
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 52
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (265)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)