Feb 2, 2012, 10:24 AM EST
The Baseball Crank is both a baseball expert and a contributor to the conservative blog Redstate. So he has special insight into all of this. And he has basically blown my mind with his latest post:
Think about it. Both are essentially relics of the 1990s who have spent a good deal of the past decade as TV pundits, and have had to overcome the initial instinct to laugh at the sudden re-emergence of a once-controversial figure so long out of power …
And it goes on and on like that. Total must-read material. It’s a stunningly good analogy, even if it’s somewhat unsettling. Of course I’d argue that it breaks down the moment each of them actually regain power, inasmuch as Bobby Valentine may not win with the Red Sox, but he’s not going to send them over a cliff in flames the way I fear President Gingrich would.
Not to get political or anything.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 54
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 206
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (206)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)