Bobby Valentine is the Newt Gingrich of baseball managers

Feb 2, 2012, 10:24 AM EST

Bobby Valentine AP

The Baseball Crank is both a baseball expert and a contributor to the conservative blog Redstate. So he has special insight into all of this.  And he has basically blown my mind with his latest post:

Think about it. Both are essentially relics of the 1990s who have spent a good deal of the past decade as TV pundits, and have had to overcome the initial instinct to laugh at the sudden re-emergence of a once-controversial figure so long out of power …

And it goes on and on like that. Total must-read material. It’s a stunningly good analogy, even if it’s somewhat unsettling.  Of course I’d argue that it breaks down the moment each of them actually regain power, inasmuch as Bobby Valentine may not win with the Red Sox, but he’s not going to send them over a cliff in flames the way I fear President Gingrich would.

Not to get political or anything.

1. Jack Marshall - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:36 AM

It’s a poor analogy, Craig, and I’m surprised you would be impressed by it, unless you have a vendetta of some kind against Valentine.

Gingrich appears to be sociopath; he is driven by anger, self-interest, and lust for power; he is spectacularly dishonest and feckless, as well as mean-spirited. He refused to congratulate the winner of a contest, the Florida primary, in which he lost—has anyone ever accused Booby Valentine of not showing good sportsmanship? Gingrich has negative charm; Valentine shows genuine warmth and charisma. He is sunny where Newt is dark.

Saying the two are similar when one has shown abundant character in his life and career while the other has shown a near complete absence of it diminishes the value of character in a leader, and in leaders, character is essential.

Bobby may fail as manager in Boston, but I would vote for him to be President over Newt Gingrich without a moment’s hesitation.

• rollinghighwayblues - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I agree with Bobby V. showing warmth and charisma. Like I’ve said on this blog before, he seems like that semi-crazy uncle you come across drinking beer in the garage at a family gathering while you’re still in high school, and then he cracks one open for you and pulls up a lawn chair.

• wendell7 - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I like Bobby Valentine simply because he reminds me of my semi-crazy Uncle Dave

• mcsnide - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Booby Valentine? Freudian slip? Typo? Or browser auto-fill based on past search habits?

• Max Power - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM

To summarize: Do not bother me with less that perfect analogies.

• JBerardi - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:00 PM

How about, do not bother me with anything having to do with Newt Gingrich?

• Jack Marshall - Feb 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM

How about: “Don’t call bad analogies ‘mind-blowing'”? Lawyers live on analogies. Craig understands.

• Old Gator - Feb 2, 2012 at 3:53 PM

To hell with OBP, WAR and RIP; moonbase now!

• cur68 - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Bobby V has no plans for a moon base in six years. ‘Nuff said.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM

His teeth are as big and as bright as the moon.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Always good to hear from you, Utley.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 3, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Thanks, Matt.

• purnellmeagrejr - Feb 2, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Craig is to be congratulated for use of on of my favorite words – “feckless” I think that describes the guy who used to be President better than Newt but …

2. catsmeat - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM

So, does this mean New Fenway opening in 2020 as part of the Moon Colony? Awesome.

• Gamera the Brave - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Man, imagine the scores – with 1/6 the gravity of Earth, every line drive and pop fly is a home run. Baseball scores will look like basketball scores…
      That’s some serious home cookin’…
      And, will they need a humidor?…

• bobwsc - Feb 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM

wouldn’t the ball float like some crazed knuckler though?

• Bryz - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Imagine the park factors!

• cur68 - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I think your Countryman Newt said with a minimum population of 15,000 it gets to be its own state: they’ll never play to a full house, even if every man, woman, and child in the state attends.

• Kevin S. - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM

True story – Triple Play 2001 had the option of playing Home Run Derby on the moon. EA Sports – just ahead of their time?

3. koufaxmitzvah - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I can’t imagine how miserable I would feel if somebody compared me to Newt. “Hey, you’re like a fat toad of a man who leaves his wives when they’re in the hospital.” “Hey, you blame poor minorities for being their own worst enemies.” “Hey, you decided to spend about $1 billion investigating a blow job.” “Hey, none of your colleagues like you.” “Hey, you owe a shitton of money to Tiffany’s.” “Hey, you lost by 17 points in Florida to Mitt Romney.”

Yeach.

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Hey, “Fat Toad” is a registered trademark.

• APBA Guy - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Is that the first Official Len Fat Toad ™ reference of 2012?

• koufaxmitzvah - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM

What am I? Newt Gingrich using “Eye of the Tiger” in unauthorized fashion?

4. proudlycanadian - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I can’t take either of them seriously because of their names. The name Newt always reminds me of one of the best lines in “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” and Valentine reminds me of the song “My Funny Valentine”.

5. jwbiii - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:47 AM

This might be bad for Mary Branca Valentine. Or it might be good.

6. Stiller43 - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Wow valentines a di*k too then i guess.

7. yankeesfanlen - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:53 AM

A loser Republican candidate compared to a loser BoSox manager- What’s not to like?

8. hasbeen5 - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Obama throws like a girl!!!

Wait, I don’t like Gingrich either, nevermind.

9. sdelmonte - Feb 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

But did Newt return to Congress wearing Groucho glasses?

10. pisano - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I see the correlation here, they’ll both be losers this year.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6252)