Feb 2, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
Earlier this week he was rumored to be going to the Orioles, but that apparently went nowhere.
Kotchman had a nice 2011 with the Rays, hitting .306/.378/.422 in 563 plate appearances. For his career he’s a .268/.336/.398 guy, and it’s not exactly realistic to expect him to repeat his 2011.
He plays slick defense at first base and is an upgrade over Matt LaPorta. It suggests, however, that Carlos Santana‘s time at first base will be reduced as well. Whether that is just for next year or for the long haul is an open question.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (160)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)