Feb 2, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
Earlier this week he was rumored to be going to the Orioles, but that apparently went nowhere.
Kotchman had a nice 2011 with the Rays, hitting .306/.378/.422 in 563 plate appearances. For his career he’s a .268/.336/.398 guy, and it’s not exactly realistic to expect him to repeat his 2011.
He plays slick defense at first base and is an upgrade over Matt LaPorta. It suggests, however, that Carlos Santana‘s time at first base will be reduced as well. Whether that is just for next year or for the long haul is an open question.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 0
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 4
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)