Feb 2, 2012, 4:47 PM EST
Earlier this week he was rumored to be going to the Orioles, but that apparently went nowhere.
Kotchman had a nice 2011 with the Rays, hitting .306/.378/.422 in 563 plate appearances. For his career he’s a .268/.336/.398 guy, and it’s not exactly realistic to expect him to repeat his 2011.
He plays slick defense at first base and is an upgrade over Matt LaPorta. It suggests, however, that Carlos Santana‘s time at first base will be reduced as well. Whether that is just for next year or for the long haul is an open question.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)