Feb 2, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
Earlier this week he was rumored to be going to the Orioles, but that apparently went nowhere.
Kotchman had a nice 2011 with the Rays, hitting .306/.378/.422 in 563 plate appearances. For his career he’s a .268/.336/.398 guy, and it’s not exactly realistic to expect him to repeat his 2011.
He plays slick defense at first base and is an upgrade over Matt LaPorta. It suggests, however, that Carlos Santana‘s time at first base will be reduced as well. Whether that is just for next year or for the long haul is an open question.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 12
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 24
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 54
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 66
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)