Feb 2, 2012, 7:16 PM EDT
Concepcion was named the Rookie of the Year in Cuba’s Serie Nacional for 2010-2011 after posting a solid 10-3 record, 3.36 ERA and 53/43 K/BB ratio across 101 2/3 innings of work. The 18-year-old southpaw defected in June to Mexico and officially become a major league free agent in mid-January.
Concepcion also drew interest from the Yankees, Phillies, Royals, Marlins, Giants, Blue Jays and Red Sox this offseason. But the aggressively-rebuilding Cubs were able to outbid the competition.
He’s likely to open the 2012 season at a low level of Single-A. Or maybe it’ll be rookie ball.
UPDATE, 8:12 PM: Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes says Concepcion’s deal is worth $7 million.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17