Feb 2, 2012, 9:59 AM EDT
We learned a couple of months ago just how dangerous Venezuela can be for a ballplayer when Wilson Ramos was kidnapped. Before that happened, however, Twins’ prospect Joe Benson was robbed at gunpoint while taking a taxi.
That story got lost in the Ramos shuffle, but Fox has an interview with Benson about it all and it paints a pretty harrowing picture:
“When you don’t speak the language, there’s not much you can do,” Benson said. “You can’t really beg for your life. You can’t ask them not to pull the trigger. You can’t beg for mercy. I kind of sat there in silence, let everything happen.”
In my imaginary baseball-playing life, I play winter ball in the Dominican Republic.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 43
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17