Feb 2, 2012, 9:59 AM EST
We learned a couple of months ago just how dangerous Venezuela can be for a ballplayer when Wilson Ramos was kidnapped. Before that happened, however, Twins’ prospect Joe Benson was robbed at gunpoint while taking a taxi.
That story got lost in the Ramos shuffle, but Fox has an interview with Benson about it all and it paints a pretty harrowing picture:
“When you don’t speak the language, there’s not much you can do,” Benson said. “You can’t really beg for your life. You can’t ask them not to pull the trigger. You can’t beg for mercy. I kind of sat there in silence, let everything happen.”
In my imaginary baseball-playing life, I play winter ball in the Dominican Republic.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 29
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 60
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)