Joe Benson talks about being robbed in Venezuela

Feb 2, 2012, 9:59 AM EST

map_of_venezuela

We learned a couple of months ago just how dangerous Venezuela can be for a ballplayer when Wilson Ramos was kidnapped. ┬áBefore that happened, however, Twins’ prospect Joe Benson was robbed at gunpoint while taking a taxi.

That story got lost in the Ramos shuffle, but Fox has an interview with Benson about it all and it paints a pretty harrowing picture:

“When you don’t speak the language, there’s not much you can do,” Benson said. “You can’t really beg for your life. You can’t ask them not to pull the trigger. You can’t beg for mercy. I kind of sat there in silence, let everything happen.”

In my imaginary baseball-playing life, I play winter ball in the Dominican Republic.

1. Detroit Michael - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:26 AM

In my imaginary baseball-playing life, the Hawaiian Winter League is still in existence and I play winter ball there.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I my imaginary baseball-playing life…I am stud SS who takes the Winters off to rest his overworked physique as a result of playing every inning of every game the previous year.

2. kopy - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I assumed he his cab driver and/or an accomplice robbed him, which would look really bad for Venezuela. Instead, the cab hit a boulder, crashed, and then both Benson and driver were robbed by bystanders. Obviously that’s still bad, but folks in foreign countries should always be able to trust the cab drivers.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Yeah…. you don’t want to do that in Mexico City…or in Caracas in fact. It’s much better to call a cab from a cab company. Talk to your hotel concierge (or equivalent) and get a list of reputable or at least well known companies.

3. Francisco (FC) - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:49 AM

You know I have to chuckle at that map, in theory, at that scale, dots represent major cities or sites of interest, you just can’t distinguish between them when all of them are the same black dots. At least the capital has a distinguishing mark.

4. cur68 - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM

In my imaginary life, there is no winter…and I hold the MLB record for striking out Yankees…and Jessica Alba has several dozen autographed baseballs from me.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6317)