Feb 2, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
We have the results of the first arbitration hearing of the offseason. According to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, left-hander John Lannan lost his hearing against the Nationals and will earn a $5 million salary this season.
Lannan, 27, requested a $5.7 million salary when arbitration figures were exchanged last month. Both sides stated their respective cases yesterday, but the three-person panel of arbitrators ultimately ruled in the favor of the team.
While Lannan lost the hearing, Amanda Comak of the Washington Times notes that he is now the highest-paid pitcher on the Nationals.
Lannan posted career-bests with a 3.70 ERA and 10 wins across 33 starts last season, despite an underwhelming 106/76 K/BB ratio over 184 2/3 innings. He remains under team control through 2013.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)