Feb 2, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
The details are slim, but they’re still cringe-worthy.
It’s not clear what exactly the 2010 American League MVP was drinking or how intoxicated he became. A Rangers spokesman told the Morning News in a written statement that the organization is “aware of a situation” but not prepared to comment further.
Hamilton, a recovering drug and alcohol addict, is entering the final year of his contract with the Rangers. He also had a relapse with alcohol in January of 2009 at a bar in Tempe, as chronicled by Deadspin.
UPDATE, 11:27 PM: Fraley has more details: The incident happened at Sherlock’s Pub & Grill in Dallas and Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler showed up at one point in an attempt to drag Hamilton home. Yikes.
UPDATE, 11:38 PM: From beat writer Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: “Sources say Ian Kinsler received a call from Josh Hamilton and went to bar out of concern.” Double yikes.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)