Feb 2, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
The details are slim, but they’re still cringe-worthy.
It’s not clear what exactly the 2010 American League MVP was drinking or how intoxicated he became. A Rangers spokesman told the Morning News in a written statement that the organization is “aware of a situation” but not prepared to comment further.
Hamilton, a recovering drug and alcohol addict, is entering the final year of his contract with the Rangers. He also had a relapse with alcohol in January of 2009 at a bar in Tempe, as chronicled by Deadspin.
UPDATE, 11:27 PM: Fraley has more details: The incident happened at Sherlock’s Pub & Grill in Dallas and Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler showed up at one point in an attempt to drag Hamilton home. Yikes.
UPDATE, 11:38 PM: From beat writer Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: “Sources say Ian Kinsler received a call from Josh Hamilton and went to bar out of concern.” Double yikes.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 93
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (93)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)