Feb 2, 2012, 9:23 PM EST
The details are slim, but they’re still cringe-worthy.
It’s not clear what exactly the 2010 American League MVP was drinking or how intoxicated he became. A Rangers spokesman told the Morning News in a written statement that the organization is “aware of a situation” but not prepared to comment further.
Hamilton, a recovering drug and alcohol addict, is entering the final year of his contract with the Rangers. He also had a relapse with alcohol in January of 2009 at a bar in Tempe, as chronicled by Deadspin.
UPDATE, 11:27 PM: Fraley has more details: The incident happened at Sherlock’s Pub & Grill in Dallas and Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler showed up at one point in an attempt to drag Hamilton home. Yikes.
UPDATE, 11:38 PM: From beat writer Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: “Sources say Ian Kinsler received a call from Josh Hamilton and went to bar out of concern.” Double yikes.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (90)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)