Josh Hamilton spotted drinking alcohol at DFW bar

Feb 2, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT

hamilton presser getty Getty Images

The details are slim, but they’re still cringe-worthy.

According to reporter Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News, Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton was spotted consuming alcohol at a bar in the Dallas-Fort Worth area on Monday night.

It’s not clear what exactly the 2010 American League MVP was drinking or how intoxicated he became. A Rangers spokesman told the Morning News in a written statement that the organization is “aware of a situation” but not prepared to comment further.

Hamilton, a recovering drug and alcohol addict, is entering the final year of his contract with the Rangers. He also had a relapse with alcohol in January of 2009 at a bar in Tempe, as chronicled by Deadspin.

*****************

UPDATE, 11:27 PM: Fraley has more details: The incident happened at Sherlock’s Pub & Grill in Dallas and Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler showed up at one point in an attempt to drag Hamilton home. Yikes.

UPDATE, 11:38 PM: From beat writer Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: “Sources say Ian Kinsler received a call from Josh Hamilton and went to bar out of concern.” Double yikes.

1. saints97 - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Be strong, Josh. One day at a time.

• randygnyc - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Some “buddy” is getting fired.

2. whittle79 - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Leave the guy alone ! That 1 to many a 1000 is never enough shit is bogus !!
    The media is the main problem, let the guy enjoy life ! If he has a drink or 2 who cares, as long as he nows his limit !

• jwbiii - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Let’s just hope he does know his limit.

• lyon810 - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:44 PM

if he did, he wouldn’t be an alcoholic…

• dwrek5 - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Knowing you limit and being able to control are 2 very different things.

• baseballisboring - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM

His limit is zero. He’s an addict.

• miketreedy - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Here is a quote from Hamilton after his last relapse in 2009. I think he answers the question on his limit.

“It just crossed my mind that night, ‘Can I have a drink?’ Obviously I can’t and this reinforces that. Since that night, I have not had another thought like that. I know it’s something I shouldn’t do because it leads to other things.”

Stay strong Josh. Lots of people struggle with this disease. You have beaten the demons before and will again now. Its not the winning every battle that matters its winning the war. We are keeping you in our prayers. God bless….

• stinkfist5 - Feb 3, 2012 at 7:25 AM

miketreedy… It’s not a disease, it’s a weakness. No sympathy. He seems like a good dude, but he needs to toughen up and have some discipline, in my opinion. All addiction is curable, all you need is a little brain power.

• baseballisboring - Feb 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM

If only ignorance and shallow minded-ness were curable…

• mikeinthevine - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:49 PM

That’s the problem Sparky, he’s an alcoholic, he doesn’t know his limit. That’s how you end up in rehab.

• kcfanatic - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Charlie Sheen, is that you?

• lyon810 - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:03 PM

lame

• drmonkeyarmy - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Most ignorant HBT statement in quite some time. For an addict/alcoholic there is no enjoyment in engaging in those activities. It is a tedious process where death is preferred than one more day living that life. Furthermore, there is no such thing as a drink or 2 for us. It goes quickly. It always starts with one….a beer, a bourbon or whatever…next thing you are smoking crack in a back alley.

• Hands Four - Feb 3, 2012 at 4:04 AM

step down from the soapbox, please. Somehow you know exactly what every alcoholic/addict’s life and experiences are like? Put down the Big Book of cliches and open your mind.

• phillyphreak - Feb 3, 2012 at 6:29 AM

@Hands

Could you please enlighten us then? One drink or one snippet of drugs is enough to send a recovering (key work: recovering- not recovered, not former) drug addict back into a downward spiral. Remember he almost lost his career to drugs and alcohol.

• drmonkeyarmy - Feb 3, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Not every obviously. But when you that or a similar scenario play out enough times, one can pretty much have a decent guess on what the outcome will be. Of course everybody is different, but alcoholism and drug addiction leads everybody to the same place. One notion that tends to keep people sick is that of terminal uniqueness. You know, where somebody thinks that nobody could have possibly experienced what they did, that these people know nothing about me. But like I said, whether it be drugs or alcohol, you end up in the same place spiritually and emotionally. I don’t get your hostility and implied AA bashing.

• Hands Four - Feb 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I’ll try to formulate my thoughts more when I have more time, but for now I want to apologize for my snotty tone.

• brewcitybummer - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Alcoholism and drug addiction are a permanent shift in how the neurotransmitters of the brain respond to drugs and alcohol. It is a differentiation in the dopamine release patterns. But I suppose your understanding of neuroscience exceeds that of the medical community.

• purnellmeagrejr - Feb 3, 2012 at 7:57 AM

THe “one size fits all” AA approach is seems to work for some people. Never made sense to me. ALcohol cost me my first marriage. Ex-wife would’t shut up about ther AA struff and I dumped her.

3. dondada10 - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Some people can’t do 1 or 2. It’s tough. Hang in there, Josh.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

You my as well report this because we know everyone else is going to also. Fact is though this isn’s so much a baseball problem yet so nobody should be reporting anything. When it becomes a baseball problem then report it.

• dondada10 - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:41 PM

It may not be a “baseball problem”, but it’s certainly a baseball story.

• brewcrewfan54 - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I don’t think that it is a baseball story. Its actually someone’s personal struggle story and the media just taking advantage of a chance to report any type of scandalous behavior they can.

• baseballisboring - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM

People do love gossip, but this is most definitely a baseball problem…his addiction kept him out of baseball for what, five years? If any of this goes any further than this one time it becomes a baseball problem very quickly.

• brewcrewfan54 - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM

When he misses a game or a practice because of it let me know, that’s when its a baseball problem.

• baseballisboring - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Slippery slope…

• dondada10 - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Very much a slippery slope. Especially considering that alcohol was just one of Hamilton’s demons.

• brewcrewfan54 - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Sippery slope, certainly wont argue with you there.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM

How many years did he already miss due to alcohol/drug related suspensions? I count at least 3 from his b-ref.com page.

Also, it’s a problem for the Rangers. We had this argument a week or so back who would be a better option to take long term, Fielder or Hamilton. This would have been another chit in Fielder’s favor because, for one, he doesn’t have another year+ suspension looming over his head if he screws up, and two, lapsing has serious consequences both in game and out for Hamilton.

• drmonkeyarmy - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM

It was you and I who had that discussion…I said Hamilton you Fielder. Looks like I might have been wrong. I sincerely hope that there is no truth to this story. I would not wish the pains of drug addiction on anybody.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

@ the good dr

I know, please believe I’m not gloating. This new information sucks. I hope he’s got a good enough support system around him that he can get through this.

My uncle is a recovering drug/alcohol addict, and he relapsed badly when his partner died. While he’s around alcohol during family gatherings, which the more i think about is extremely insensitive, he basically has to keep himself from any temptation away from family.

• brewcrewfan54 - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Chuch, In the 2012 season he has missed zero games and zero practices yet. He may have a history but as of right now its a bump in the road.

5. lyon810 - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Well he’s off the wagon….or is it on the wagon?

• kcfanatic - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Nice Seinfeld reference.

6. Matt Aromando - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM

A baseball player having a drink out side of the context of a game? As a Red Sox fan, I find this unbelievable.

7. tn16 - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Come on this guy must have drank before there’s no way this is the first time since then

• marshmallowsnake - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Last year or the year before, he was. Caught doing the same thing in Tempe, AZ. So no, not the first time. However, he is human. I am sure there will be more times. That is the way it goes, and can be unfortunate.

8. papacrick - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Judging by how is last relapse went, I’d say it’s a problem. Last time he was shirtless in a Arizona bar with chicks licking whipped cream off of his stomach (which sounds awesome) and I’m sure there was some cocaine involved so obviously he goes on a pretty solid bender when he relapses which is what most addicts do. Being a rich superstar makes it impossible to wanna be sober when chicks throw themselves at you and free drugs are thrown your way. I feel for ya Josh

• baseballisboring - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Yeah, try being a multi-millionaire mini-celebrity who everyone wants to party with that’s also a recovering addict…I think it shows some pretty amazing strength that he’s only (as far as we know relapsed twice.

• davidpom50 - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM

There definitely wasn’t cocaine involved. The next day, Josh insisted on getting tested (he’d blacked out and wasn’t sure exactly what he’d done), and everything came back clean.

9. talbaugh - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I don’t think this is an appropriate story. Stay out of it unless it becomes bigger.

Jump on the guy if he admits to a serious relapse or has a public intox or dui. Don’t jump on him for slipping up in his hard fight against alcoholism.

It’s not worth the pageviews.

• baseballisboring - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I think it’s legitimate concern, not trying to jump on him.

10. goforthanddie - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:49 PM

1-Was it beer in a bottle/can? If not, how do you know there was alcohol involved?
    2-He was IN A BAR. Not hanging out in his basement, trying to hide anything.
    3-Seriously, stop reporting stories like this until you have something more solid. What we know: He was in a bar consuming a liquid. Not. Worth. Reporting.

11. 49erscott - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Oh for god sakes. let the guy drink a beer in peace. I use to be a drug addict and I drink now. Not once have I ever thought of going back. He’s welcome to roam the outfield here in S.F. We will accept his shortcomings.

• marshmallowsnake - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM

True. You all liked Bonds through his persecution.

12. lyon810 - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM

hey man! where’s the party!

btw, do any of you (not all) need help getting down from your moral high-horses?

13. illad3lph1a - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:05 PM

“cringe-worthy”?? … Little much

• Utley's Hair - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Not when he has a history of problems which cost him several years in baseball, when he was highly touted as the next big thing. He suffered a relapse a couple years back, just when he was getting his career going again. And now this (potentially)—the year before he’s a free agent, too. I would consider “cringe-worthy” to be an appropriate term.

14. ricofoy - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:13 PM

God told him to eat, drink and be merry.

15. baseballisboring - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:13 PM

To me it’s crazy that people would try to downplay something like this like it’s not a big deal. I mean, do you know why people drink and use drugs? Because they’re AWESOME. Yes, they make you feel really, really good. That’s the whole problem, because some people use them to deal with negative emotions. Have a few drinks, you feel great. Works *every* time. And it becomes so easy to resort to that, and before long you need it just to function. Just because everybody who’s ever had a beer isn’t affected by it doesn’t mean it’s any less real. Some people are just more susceptible to being addicted, and once you’re an addict, you’re an addict forever. It’s not just about will power, it’s about brain chemistry, too. I’m not trying to jump on the guy, I really feel for him. But if he’s at a bar getting drunk, that IS a huge problem.

16. brenenostler - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Wow he drank once. Big deal. So former drug addicts can’t consume alcohol either?

• drmonkeyarmy - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Alcohol is a drug. Just happens to be legal.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Um…anybody over the age of 21 is free to consume alcohol, provided they have not been banned by the law. “Former” drug addicts are much more likely to slide back into that addiction with the assistance of alcohol. So, yes, they can. But whether they should? Probably not…but that’s their business.

17. Bryz - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I’m intrigued by the lack of regulars (or perhaps more accurately, the abundance of non-regulars) in this comment thread.

I hope this doesn’t become a serious issue for Hamilton.

• cur68 - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Yeah, I noticed that, too. As for me, I just don’t know what to say. I guess I don’t feel like I have enough information yet. I’m kinda hoping this all turns out to be Josh Hamilton having a Grape Nehi and we’re all getting into a lather over nothing.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Radar OReilly reference. Well played, Seisenta.

Good luck to Josh and his family.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:30 AM

My guess is it has a lot to do with fluff week over at PFT.

18. tuftsb - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Hamilton’s life (and paycheck and endorsements) is related to his recovery from the depths of addiction and his being a “feel good” story. Unfortunately, anything that inidcates that he is not on the straight and narrow with his addiction is a story.

I do not want to belittle his religious beliefs, but like Tim Tebow, I believe that Hamilton would not be able to cope on or off the field without faith as a comfort and coping mechanism. If he has additional incidents like this, I fear for him in his post-career life, as the lure of drug and drink overwhelms his belief system and even his desire to earn a lucrative salary.

19. jonirocit - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Don’t care never cared the guys story isn’t a heartwarming story it’s a story of a druggie who hides behind god . What ever if he wants to throw away his career let him there are plenty of other guys who would have loved to be in his shoes but he pissed away most of his career and now we are supposed to feel for him and support him …. He’s not in my family and he doesn’t give a crap about me so why should I care.

• lostsok - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Thanks Newt. Good luck with that 2nd term!

• Utley's Hair - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:33 AM

And yet you still clicked on the story, may have read a few words of the story, clicked to comment, formed that rant of yours into something resembling—though looks can be deceiving—a cohesive statement, and clicked the post comment button. Good for you.

20. lostsok - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM

There but for the grace of weed go I.

21. philsfan83 - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I like watching people say “oh, it’s just 1 drink…let him be…”. When you’re an alcoholic or have abused substances, 1 drink is too many. Only those who don’t know what it can do to someone and those around them are completely ignorant. I hope Josh gets back to AA and back on track.

• drmonkeyarmy - Feb 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Well said…and very true.

22. lameasish - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Lame writer trying for page views. I’d like to hear comments like this when the blogger has to say it to his face, rather than behind a grease soaked keyboard.

• drmonkeyarmy - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Did you even read what Drew Silva wrote? What did he say that was the least bit inflammatory? Merely passing on information about a story. I still don’t understand why people take the time to sign up then comment on stories they deem “lame”.

23. nightrain42 - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:08 PM

If true, not a good sign. Makes u wonder about the risk of signing him long term

24. contraryguy - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM

“This is your last chance. And I’m not talking about one of those Major League Baseball Steve Howe kind of last chances.”

As a Reds fan, wondered why they would trade such a talent away, but maybe it’s not that big a mystery. Be careful, Josh.

25. yettyskills - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Wade Boggs was a beast

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3958)