Feb 2, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT
But the Athletics are not alone.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Orioles are also exploring the thought of making an offer to the 39-year-old free agent slugger.
Ramirez made only 17 total plate appearances last year for the Rays and must serve a 50-game PED suspension before being allowed to appear in a regular season game this season. But he posted a respectable .870 OPS with nine home runs and 42 RBI across 320 plate appearances in 2010 and is claiming to be in improved shape. He seems likely to score a minor league deal from someone.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)