Feb 2, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT
But the Athletics are not alone.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Orioles are also exploring the thought of making an offer to the 39-year-old free agent slugger.
Ramirez made only 17 total plate appearances last year for the Rays and must serve a 50-game PED suspension before being allowed to appear in a regular season game this season. But he posted a respectable .870 OPS with nine home runs and 42 RBI across 320 plate appearances in 2010 and is claiming to be in improved shape. He seems likely to score a minor league deal from someone.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)