Feb 2, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT
But the Athletics are not alone.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Orioles are also exploring the thought of making an offer to the 39-year-old free agent slugger.
Ramirez made only 17 total plate appearances last year for the Rays and must serve a 50-game PED suspension before being allowed to appear in a regular season game this season. But he posted a respectable .870 OPS with nine home runs and 42 RBI across 320 plate appearances in 2010 and is claiming to be in improved shape. He seems likely to score a minor league deal from someone.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)