Feb 2, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Before Prince Fielder signed for $214 million, people were saying that Scott Boras was having a bad offseason for his free agents. Then, all of a sudden, everyone was saying how awesome he was. Then today Edwin Jackson signed a one-year deal that, in my view anyway, is a borderline bargain for the Nationals.
Then I read Ken Rosenthal’s tweets:
Only three free agents represented by Scott Boras have signed multi-year deals this off-season. One is Prince. The others: Willie Bloomquist and Bruce Chen! Madson, K-Rod, C. Pena and now E. Jackson all have agreed to one-year contracts.
I would have assumed that Pena would have gotten a one-year deal before the winter began because he just seems to have “one-year deal” tattooed on his forehead at this point. The other ones are somewhat surprising, especially Jackson.
Not that this is all on Boras. The market is the market and it’s not like his stable of free agents matched up perfectly with teams’ needs this winter.
Still, it’s worth remembering that for every mega deal Boras puts together, he has several more normal-to-disappointing deals. Just like every other agent out there.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 50
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 20
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)