Feb 2, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Before Prince Fielder signed for $214 million, people were saying that Scott Boras was having a bad offseason for his free agents. Then, all of a sudden, everyone was saying how awesome he was. Then today Edwin Jackson signed a one-year deal that, in my view anyway, is a borderline bargain for the Nationals.
Then I read Ken Rosenthal’s tweets:
Only three free agents represented by Scott Boras have signed multi-year deals this off-season. One is Prince. The others: Willie Bloomquist and Bruce Chen! Madson, K-Rod, C. Pena and now E. Jackson all have agreed to one-year contracts.
I would have assumed that Pena would have gotten a one-year deal before the winter began because he just seems to have “one-year deal” tattooed on his forehead at this point. The other ones are somewhat surprising, especially Jackson.
Not that this is all on Boras. The market is the market and it’s not like his stable of free agents matched up perfectly with teams’ needs this winter.
Still, it’s worth remembering that for every mega deal Boras puts together, he has several more normal-to-disappointing deals. Just like every other agent out there.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17