Feb 2, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Before Prince Fielder signed for $214 million, people were saying that Scott Boras was having a bad offseason for his free agents. Then, all of a sudden, everyone was saying how awesome he was. Then today Edwin Jackson signed a one-year deal that, in my view anyway, is a borderline bargain for the Nationals.
Then I read Ken Rosenthal’s tweets:
Only three free agents represented by Scott Boras have signed multi-year deals this off-season. One is Prince. The others: Willie Bloomquist and Bruce Chen! Madson, K-Rod, C. Pena and now E. Jackson all have agreed to one-year contracts.
I would have assumed that Pena would have gotten a one-year deal before the winter began because he just seems to have “one-year deal” tattooed on his forehead at this point. The other ones are somewhat surprising, especially Jackson.
Not that this is all on Boras. The market is the market and it’s not like his stable of free agents matched up perfectly with teams’ needs this winter.
Still, it’s worth remembering that for every mega deal Boras puts together, he has several more normal-to-disappointing deals. Just like every other agent out there.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)