Feb 2, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Before Prince Fielder signed for $214 million, people were saying that Scott Boras was having a bad offseason for his free agents. Then, all of a sudden, everyone was saying how awesome he was. Then today Edwin Jackson signed a one-year deal that, in my view anyway, is a borderline bargain for the Nationals.
Then I read Ken Rosenthal’s tweets:
Only three free agents represented by Scott Boras have signed multi-year deals this off-season. One is Prince. The others: Willie Bloomquist and Bruce Chen! Madson, K-Rod, C. Pena and now E. Jackson all have agreed to one-year contracts.
I would have assumed that Pena would have gotten a one-year deal before the winter began because he just seems to have “one-year deal” tattooed on his forehead at this point. The other ones are somewhat surprising, especially Jackson.
Not that this is all on Boras. The market is the market and it’s not like his stable of free agents matched up perfectly with teams’ needs this winter.
Still, it’s worth remembering that for every mega deal Boras puts together, he has several more normal-to-disappointing deals. Just like every other agent out there.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 3
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 6
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 54
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)