Feb 2, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Before Prince Fielder signed for $214 million, people were saying that Scott Boras was having a bad offseason for his free agents. Then, all of a sudden, everyone was saying how awesome he was. Then today Edwin Jackson signed a one-year deal that, in my view anyway, is a borderline bargain for the Nationals.
Then I read Ken Rosenthal’s tweets:
Only three free agents represented by Scott Boras have signed multi-year deals this off-season. One is Prince. The others: Willie Bloomquist and Bruce Chen! Madson, K-Rod, C. Pena and now E. Jackson all have agreed to one-year contracts.
I would have assumed that Pena would have gotten a one-year deal before the winter began because he just seems to have “one-year deal” tattooed on his forehead at this point. The other ones are somewhat surprising, especially Jackson.
Not that this is all on Boras. The market is the market and it’s not like his stable of free agents matched up perfectly with teams’ needs this winter.
Still, it’s worth remembering that for every mega deal Boras puts together, he has several more normal-to-disappointing deals. Just like every other agent out there.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 12
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 28
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 86
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (86)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)