Feb 2, 2012, 1:49 PM EST
UPDATE: That was a quick targeting. Heyman reports that the Nationals and Jackson have a deal. Jackson was seen in an airport, presumably on his way to Washington for a physical. The shocker: it’s reportedly a one-year deal. Heyman says it’s in the $8-12 million range.
Which, yes, we’ve heard that Jackson was willing to accept a one year deal, but one had to figure that a Scott Boras client signing with Washington would have caused Mike Rizzo to go crazy and sign him for eleventeen years and dicketseven billion dollars. This is a pretty fair deal, all things considered.
The Nationals still have John Lannan of course and a lot of other pitching, creating a crowded staff. Adam Kilgore reports, however, that Washington is content to enter spring training with all of these guys, Lannan included, and make trades then if necessary.
1:17 PM: Excitement in Washington: First they beat John Lannan in arbitration, and now they’re “aggressively shopping him.” To whom? Doesn’t matter. Because the interesting part of it is the why: to make room for Edwin Jackson.
The Nats signing a Boras client? What are the friggin’ odds?
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 3
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 44
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)