Feb 2, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: That was a quick targeting. Heyman reports that the Nationals and Jackson have a deal. Jackson was seen in an airport, presumably on his way to Washington for a physical. The shocker: it’s reportedly a one-year deal. Heyman says it’s in the $8-12 million range.
Which, yes, we’ve heard that Jackson was willing to accept a one year deal, but one had to figure that a Scott Boras client signing with Washington would have caused Mike Rizzo to go crazy and sign him for eleventeen years and dicketseven billion dollars. This is a pretty fair deal, all things considered.
The Nationals still have John Lannan of course and a lot of other pitching, creating a crowded staff. Adam Kilgore reports, however, that Washington is content to enter spring training with all of these guys, Lannan included, and make trades then if necessary.
1:17 PM: Excitement in Washington: First they beat John Lannan in arbitration, and now they’re “aggressively shopping him.” To whom? Doesn’t matter. Because the interesting part of it is the why: to make room for Edwin Jackson.
The Nats signing a Boras client? What are the friggin’ odds?
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 4
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 18
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)