Feb 2, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: That was a quick targeting. Heyman reports that the Nationals and Jackson have a deal. Jackson was seen in an airport, presumably on his way to Washington for a physical. The shocker: it’s reportedly a one-year deal. Heyman says it’s in the $8-12 million range.
Which, yes, we’ve heard that Jackson was willing to accept a one year deal, but one had to figure that a Scott Boras client signing with Washington would have caused Mike Rizzo to go crazy and sign him for eleventeen years and dicketseven billion dollars. This is a pretty fair deal, all things considered.
The Nationals still have John Lannan of course and a lot of other pitching, creating a crowded staff. Adam Kilgore reports, however, that Washington is content to enter spring training with all of these guys, Lannan included, and make trades then if necessary.
1:17 PM: Excitement in Washington: First they beat John Lannan in arbitration, and now they’re “aggressively shopping him.” To whom? Doesn’t matter. Because the interesting part of it is the why: to make room for Edwin Jackson.
The Nats signing a Boras client? What are the friggin’ odds?
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)