To ESPN, the Pirates and Astros are “other”

Feb 2, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT

UPDATE:  ESPN has tried to improve it.

12:40 PM: Pirates blogger Jon Anderson of The “Mc” Effect was reading ESPN.com this morning when he noticed this fun little poll about the NL Central:

source:

Look, I’m not gonna pick either the Astros or the Pirates to win the NL Central this year, but I think they’re probably owed something more than being listed as “other” in a poll about it all.

1. wondroushippo - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM

The Pirates? Sure, they’re young and were in first place halfway through the season last year. There’s a case there. But the Astros? I think even if the other 5 teams were listed in the poll, they’d still deserve to be filed under “Other.”

2. rollinghighwayblues - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Where’s Steve Berthiaume when you need ‘em?

3. cur68 - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM

ooooo….burn. Somebody get over to Rambodiaz’s place and keep the sharp objects away from him.

• rambodiaz - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• cur68 - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Uh…in the event of something truly tragic happening to you, let it be known that I stand at the ready to offer all aid and comfort to Mrs. Diaz…unless I have to compete with Fat Elvis. In which case I propose a 4 lap race around PNC Park. Winner gets to offer aid and comfort to Mrs. Diaz.

• rambodiaz - Feb 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM

no worries my Canadian friend. The lovely and fetching Mrs. Diaz has seen upwards of 10 years of me losing my mind at Pirates baseball. Surely nothing tragic will happen to be due to that team.

Although, if I see Fat Elvis driving around my development, I’m going to be suspicious. I may follow him, after I congratulate him on the World Series last year of course.

4. a125125125 - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Is anyone really that surprised that an ESPN employee can not name all the teams in the NL Central?

Neither the Yankees nor the Red Sox play in the NL…..and even the Phillies only play NL Central teams on rare occasions. Also Peyton Manning, Tebow, Lebron, and Favre don’t play for NL Central teams. So why would one of the WWL’s employees be interested in the NL Central?

5. bouwel92 - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:56 PM

astros will win the nl central this year

• alonestartexan - Feb 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I want some of what your smokin…

• owenpoin - Feb 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM

No way man, the Mets have the NL Central on lockdown.

6. natstowngreg - Feb 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Must have been a limit on the number of possible categories. Or, someone was just lazy.

Besides, If you really based the categories on each team’s chances, why do the Cubs have their own category? [And why did 15% vote for them?]

7. mvpolamalu - Feb 2, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Im not saying the pirates will win, but they were WINNING the division at the midway point

8. Kyle - Feb 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Ah, weak!

9. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM

The season hasn’t started yet, ESPN. All teams have an equal shot, as of today!
    ~Hopeless Cub fan

• natstowngreg - Feb 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Ah, Spring, when every team is undefeated and every player is, like the children of Lake Wobegone, above average. Not to mention, in the best shapes of their lives.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Exactly. Guys like Rich Harden and Coco Crisp have yet to be hurt, Mark Reynolds and Adam Dunn have yet to strike out, and we have yet to see Derek Holland throw a smile under that dirty ‘stache of his.

Oh, the beauty of Spring. Let’s play ball!

10. toegoat - Feb 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

The pirates have been rebuilding since 1992, ‘Nuff said.

11. bennoj - Feb 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Perhaps we should start referring to the Pirates and Astros as ‘The Professor’ and ‘Mary Ann’ in honor of the first season of Gilligan’s Island when the theme song just referred to them as ‘the rest’.

12. kiaracer - Feb 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

isnt the astros moving to the al west

• rooney24 - Feb 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM

In 2013, I believe.

13. El Bravo - Feb 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Again, as I noted last year, our Captivat brand elevator news screens often show the NL Central standings during the season and don’t even bother showing the sixth team (we all know them as the Astros). What I can’t wait to see is, given this is a Cubs town, what happens if the Cubbies are in the cellar??

14. Francisco (FC) - Feb 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Probably a polling software limitation. Now you know why Bud wants to move the Astros to the AL West, no more issues with ESPN’s polling software…

• El Bravo - Feb 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

heh heh heh you said polling software limitation heh heh heh

15. stex52 - Feb 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM

That’s okay, the feeling is mutual. My reaction to ESPN is “Turn off the television”.

16. stairwayto7 - Feb 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM

When the Pirates are contnding thsi year in late August ESPN will eb all over them then. Until then ESPN will only televise Red-Sucks and Stankee games..BTW Cubs shoudl have been the other!

17. brucewaynewins - Feb 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM

They’ve been outed and fixed this on their poll.

18. pittpanthers11 - Jul 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM

How about those Pittsburgh Others now?!

First place. Suck it, ESPN, NBC.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey