Feb 2, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT
Via WEEI comes word that La Prensa newspaper in Nicaragua is reporting that Vicente Padilla — who just signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox — is facing an order not to leave Nicaragua over a child support flap.
He originally had an arrest warrant issued but it was rescinded. He’s alleged to owe $4,200 in child support. Given that he’s made over $50 million playing baseball, I’m assuming this will be resolved fairly quickly with a check cut and an order telling him not to slack on it again.
Of course the most shocking thing about all of this has less to do with him being an alleged deadbeat dad or any implications it has for the Red Sox as much as it has to do with the cold hard knowledge that, at some point, an actual human woman agreed to procreate with Vicente Padilla.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 10
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 59
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 41
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106