Feb 2, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT
Via WEEI comes word that La Prensa newspaper in Nicaragua is reporting that Vicente Padilla — who just signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox — is facing an order not to leave Nicaragua over a child support flap.
He originally had an arrest warrant issued but it was rescinded. He’s alleged to owe $4,200 in child support. Given that he’s made over $50 million playing baseball, I’m assuming this will be resolved fairly quickly with a check cut and an order telling him not to slack on it again.
Of course the most shocking thing about all of this has less to do with him being an alleged deadbeat dad or any implications it has for the Red Sox as much as it has to do with the cold hard knowledge that, at some point, an actual human woman agreed to procreate with Vicente Padilla.
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 1
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 5
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 31
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)