Feb 2, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT
Via WEEI comes word that La Prensa newspaper in Nicaragua is reporting that Vicente Padilla — who just signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox — is facing an order not to leave Nicaragua over a child support flap.
He originally had an arrest warrant issued but it was rescinded. He’s alleged to owe $4,200 in child support. Given that he’s made over $50 million playing baseball, I’m assuming this will be resolved fairly quickly with a check cut and an order telling him not to slack on it again.
Of course the most shocking thing about all of this has less to do with him being an alleged deadbeat dad or any implications it has for the Red Sox as much as it has to do with the cold hard knowledge that, at some point, an actual human woman agreed to procreate with Vicente Padilla.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 34
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 20
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 90
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)