Feb 2, 2012, 9:13 AM EST
Via WEEI comes word that La Prensa newspaper in Nicaragua is reporting that Vicente Padilla — who just signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox — is facing an order not to leave Nicaragua over a child support flap.
He originally had an arrest warrant issued but it was rescinded. He’s alleged to owe $4,200 in child support. Given that he’s made over $50 million playing baseball, I’m assuming this will be resolved fairly quickly with a check cut and an order telling him not to slack on it again.
Of course the most shocking thing about all of this has less to do with him being an alleged deadbeat dad or any implications it has for the Red Sox as much as it has to do with the cold hard knowledge that, at some point, an actual human woman agreed to procreate with Vicente Padilla.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)