Feb 2, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
You’d think that a guy who has been portrayed as not being able to handle a lot of distractions wouldn’t want to be in the business of handling his own business affairs as he enters his final season before free agency. But more so than the social anxiety stuff, Zack Greinke has been defined by the fact that he just does his own thing.
That thing now: going without an agent. A season away from free agency.
Jerry Crasnick has his story over at ESPN.com today. It doesn’t sound like Greinke is going to pull a full-on Gary Sheffield and negotiate his own deal — Greinke says “we’ll see how long it lasts” — but he’s certainly doing things differently than most in his situation do.
To be honest, I’d think that the contract negotiation stuff would be less of a hassle than the day-to-day work of an agent, much of which Crasnick explains in his story. Side business deals. Endorsements if Greinke does any. Random licensing stuff. Seems like it would be a pain.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 7
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 12
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 133
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (133)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)