A new entrant into the “say stupid things about Josh Hamilton’s drinking” derby

Feb 3, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT

Oakland Athletics v Texas Rangers Getty Images

Randy Galloway of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram bursts into the lead!

When the news came down on Thursday, I hope Josh will forgive my first thought of, “where’s the union?”

That means the players’ union … Hamilton repeatedly gives the hardball speech to the media of granting the Rangers no hometown discount in money because he owes it to the union to get all he can get to boost the contractual benefits of those players coming up behind him.

Great. So where was the union Monday night? … Where was Josh’s union this week? Where is the union now?

Yes, because Hamilton’s contract negotiations are directly related and totally relevant to his alcoholism and, in turn, the MLBPA is responsible for all of that. Clearly, Hamilton’s failure to maintain his sobriety is attributable to his pending free agency.
This is just aggressively ignorant writing by Galloway. Someone told him that he had better have an opinion about all of this, so he went and made one up. Didn’t matter how little it had to do with anything relevant or that it had no coherence whatsoever.
  1. Stacey - Feb 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Ugh. Just ugh. These people.

2. frankenderek - Feb 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Pwned

3. largebill - Feb 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I’m fairly strongly opposed to most unions, but even I think that nonsense is stupid. The union isn’t there to babysit players. They exist to negotiate a labor deal on their behalf and to defend them when management takes action regarding a player that violates the labor agreement.

• Old Gator - Feb 3, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I’m very pro-union – despite the fact that I would never join any union with the bad taste to have me as a member – so I probably think that Galloway is even dumber than you think he is. And no doubt there are folks who actually belong to unions who think that Galloway is even dumber than I think he is, world without end. Some day, I hope Hamilton drinks a lot of Buckler’s or O’Dooles and then pisses on him from a great height.

• Gamera the Brave - Feb 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Gator,
        Nice use of a Groucho-ism.
        You are awarded an extra base!

• Ben - Feb 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Hope you’re not taking any time off from work this weekend. Weekends are a little too much a product of the labor movement.

• stevejeltzjehricurl - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Because without your union, it wouldn’t be long before the robber barons took away your weekends!

“You can’t treat the working man this way. One day, we’ll form a union and get the fair and equitable treatment we deserve! Then we’ll go too far, and get corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will eat us alive!”

4. cur68 - Feb 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I don’t know what’s going on with Josh Hamilton, so I have no comment on that, but I can tell I’m going to be really tired of the highly opinionated & loudly uninformed (yeah, Galloway, I mean you) blathering their opinion about it, long before opening day.

5. miketreedy - Feb 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I don’t think the union needs to babysit him. The Rangers have already had to do that job. I will say that if the union is pushing him to just take the biggest deal they are doing him a huge disservice. Josh has special circumstances and needs to be where he can best succeed. What if Miami, for example, offers him the biggest deal. Do you think that is the best place for him? Probably not. The Rangers have been a very good fit for him and for him to leave, it should be about a lot more than just the money. No matter what the unions says.

6. nategearhart - Feb 3, 2012 at 11:12 AM

The assertion that Hamilton should take less money from the Rangers because they’ve supported him through his addiction is not quite as offensive, but arguably even more laughable.

• miketreedy - Feb 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM

My point is that they have proven to be a great source of support and patience. He may not find that other places. This can help him be successful as a player and a person. There is nothing wrong with some loyalty though either.

• halflight420 - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM

your wrong though, he makes them more money than they riske don him, no player owes any team or any fan a goddamn thing

• nategearhart - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM

My comment was in reference to the column itself, in which the writer stated exactly that. I wasn’t commenting on your statement.

• skids003 - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Actually, hatfight, they DO owe the fans. They wouldn’t have a job without the fans.

7. koufaxmitzvah - Feb 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I’d say his Union was represented by Ian Kinsler who came to the pub and tried to get Hamilton to go back to his house.

8. yankeesfanlen - Feb 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Send a letter of support to Josh to let him know there are people trying to help. Send a copy to Ian Kinsler as well to re-inforce the point and thank him for his concern.

9. Kyle - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Please, nobody click through to that drivel.

10. marzalmighty - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I listen to Galloway daily. To an extent, I understand what he is trying to say. Hamilton did himself and the union no favors last night in regards to negotiating. The Rangers’, as will as other teams’ fears, have been confirmed. I recognize how hard it must be for Hamilton to deal with his addiction on a daily basis. Although, in recent comments to local DFW media, Hamilton has said he doesn’t believe he needs a guidance director, or whatever they are calling the position, anymore. Josh brought the microscope onto himself with his previous actions as well as his incessant comments about his faith and sobriety. It sucks for Hamilton, but he should be held accountable instead of coddled.

11. rempokesfan - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Clearly, y’all don’t know Randy!

He’s an idiot. And not your run-of-the-mill situational, oops-he-did-it-again kind of idiot, either. He’s a professional idiot.

When a situation arises that for most people would cause a moment of reflection or thought before speaking, Randy is not in any way inhibited by the compassion or even courtesy that might keep a lesser idiot from being the first to post his reponse. Randy’s gonna be the first idiot on the scene every time!

You may not agree with him, but you gotta admire his consistency!

• kickingiant - Feb 3, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Randy doesn’t get paid for being right, just for being interesting. He just got a plug for the Star Telegram on a national site. Good job, ya old coot.

12. marzalmighty - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:30 PM

@halflight420 Try telling your employer that. Don’t forget, the players are employees and the teams are the employers.

13. babetheblueoxtail - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

When the news came down on Friday, I hope Randy Galloway will forgive my first thought of, “where’s his drug stash?”

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4880)