Cardinals broadcaster Dan McLaughlin to keep his job despite multiple DUIs

Feb 3, 2012, 1:21 PM EDT

Dan McLaughlin mugshot

Last September, Cardinals broadcaster Dan McLaughlin was arrested after causing a single-car accident while driving while intoxicated. It was his second incident. In fact, he was still on probation from a previous drunk driving arrest that occurred in 2010.

After the September arrest FOX Sports Midwest suspended McLaughlin, and it was unclear whether he’d be back doing Cardinals play-by-play.  The answer is in now: yes he will.

“He has been with us 14 years and is very good at what he does,” Jack Donovan, FSM’s general manager, said Thursday. “He’s a very hard worker. We expect him to continue” to be … “It’s perceived as an illness,” Donovan said. “We’re trying to support him.”

Here’s hoping McLaughlin stays on the straight-and-narrow. In light of today’s news, God knows it ain’t easy.

1. papacrick - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:33 PM

If his actions haven’t affected his performance at work then he shouldn’t be fired so kudos to Fox. Obviously this man is troubled and that’s good he’s getting support from his employer rather than being discarded like a piece of trash.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Throw him out on his a$$. He is putting others at risk by drinking alcohol and driving. He talks about sports for a living you JA of course it doesnt affect his job. Another cardinal fan who thinks its ok to drink and drive.

• kopy - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I’m not a Cardinals fan, but I am an America fan. Everybody has a right to earn a living. There is no law that prevents McLaughlin from seeking employment. He has paid his debt to society, and the current repayment of probation (and possible community service) doesn’t interfere with his right to maintain employment.

• kopy - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

If you want to take issue with the Cardinals for employing him, that’s a different issue. But the Cardinals are essentially free to hire/fire whomever they like.

• clankbot - Feb 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM

note: He is not employed by the Cardinals. He is employed by Fox.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Feb 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I don’t get why Fox would want him in such a public position.
      It’s one thing to support an employee as he struggles with alcoholism, quite another to feature one with multiple DUIs.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Part of me is annoyed that in this day and age, the Cardinals are going to allow this 2-time (at least caught 2 times) drunk driver to continue to work for them in such an important high-profile position. This can not be compared with Hamilton’s because, while both men are admitted alcoholics/addicts, Hamilton, from what I have seen in the last couple incidents, wasn’t STUPID enough to get behind the wheel of a car.

Look, I have as much sympathy for alcoholics/addicts as anybody. But what I don’t have sympathy for is Drunk Drivers…whether they are alcoholics or not. There is absolutely 100% ZERO excuse for getting behind the wheel of a car drunk. And if you do, then I have zero sympathy for you and your addiction.

I think this guy should have been let go or at least suspended for a season while he shows he can stay away from drunk driving. Once is too many times in my opinion…but TWICE? Sorry, that’s pretty much enabling behavior.

• paperlions - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Agreed.

Plus McLaughlin and Hrabosky are a horrible announcing team…so bad that I nearly always choose the other team’s broadcast when watching on MLB.TV.

• thefalcon123 - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Agreed…but Horton and Hrabosky are worse.

• paperlions - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM

eww…yeah, forgot about Horton….ugh. Like I said, usually watch on MLB.TV….I check to see if it is a Randolph/Shannon broadcast and if not I switch over to the opposition’s broadcast….though there are a few that are actually worse than the Cardinal TV guys….sadly, the delay for TV and radio are not synced up….so you can’t watch the broadcast and listen to the radio guys without going insane.

• spudchukar - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Most often PL, even when I disagree with your opinion I still respect it cause I know it is cogent, and thoughtful. But Shannon and Randolph? Are you serious?

• paperlions - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Shannon and Randolph are entertaining and they bring back childhood memories; I don’t claim it to be a rational opinion. McLaughlin and Hrabosky are just intolerable as they combine ignorance with a constant stream of criticism….but yeah, at least 70% of the announcers for other teams are better than anything the Cardinals have had around for a while.

• spudchukar - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Okay, I guess I will accept that. As a child I was blessed with 3 innings of Harry Carey, 3 innings of Jack Buck, and 3 innings of Joe Garagiola. Guess that would spoil anybody.

• dwrek5 - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Especially with the Cardinals checkered past with alcohol and driving!

• mattkempsdetlefschrempfs - Feb 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM

La Russa’s legacy lives on…

3. itsacurse - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM

It’s a fine line between mental illness and irresponsibility. I for one don’t know where this lands.

4. deathmonkey41 - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Haven’t any of these people ever heard of cabs?

• spudchukar - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Your assume they have that option. Unfortunately, outside of the metropolitan NE, that is seldom a viable choice.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Why on earth is there such an alcohol problem in MLB?

• paperlions - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM

…because it is played by people?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Har har. I’m just saying, it seems to be a heightened issue. Cabrera, Lowe, Hamilton, McLaughlin…

• paperlions - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Lowe was actually completely sober and was just arrested by a cop on a power trip. He was never even charged.

I was an asshole in the Loney post the other day, but it appears that I was in wrong about him and his situation and that Loney had a bad concussion from his accident and was sober (though apparently driving recklessly enough to wreck into multiple cars).

People in all walks of life drink and get arrested for DUI….but only those in select professions have their arrests announced publicly.

• elmedico27 - Feb 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I imagine it’s a problem in every industry. It’s just that no one watches the Finance department or the shop floor on TV all summer.

6. a125125125 - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Let’s keep in mind that St. Louis is still a brewery town. That factors into this decision on two fronts:
    1) a lax attitude towards employees who drink
    2) listening to Dan’s terrible broadcasting will continue to drive Cardinals fans to drink thus increasing revenue for the brewery

• elmedico27 - Feb 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM

In addition, the state of Missouri has some of the most lax alcohol laws of any state in the union.

7. yettyskills - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Whatever the owner of the business decides is his own business.

8. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Feb 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM

The Cardinals ought to replace McLaughlin, but it has nothing to do with the fact that he’s a drunkard.

• spudchukar - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

As long as it isn’t that toady, Chip Caray.

9. JBerardi - Feb 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM

At least he didn’t use steroids.

10. chiadam - Feb 4, 2012 at 8:34 AM

He’s just picking up the slack now that the drunk manager has moved on. At least this drunk didn’t fall asleep at a traffic light.

11. dcgonzfr - Feb 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Wow. I guess Fox is willing to wait until the “drunk” actually hurts some one until they get rid of him. What a joke! It’s the Midwest though. If he wasn’t white, he wouldn’t gotten a second chance. Plain and simple. Look at how St. Louis treated Albert Pujols. He was a hero one minute, now he is a no good SOB. McLaughlin, you are lucky you are white, you get “another” pass. Once a “drunkard” always a “drunkard”. By the way Fox, this “illness” can kill. It’s been proven.

• fearlessleader - Feb 5, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I’m not even going to touch your allegations of racism or your unenlightened attitude toward addiction, but I would like to entreat you to leave Albert out of this. The goodwill he enjoyed in St. Louis was in large part due to his self-cultivated image as a hometown hero who wasn’t inclined to head for the coasts for a few million extra dollars per year. He made the decision to go the “it’s just business” route, and in business, the law of the land is “what have you done for me lately?”

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5116)