Feb 3, 2012, 2:45 PM EDT
Gary Carter is the coach of the Palm Beach Atlantic University baseball team. And even though his battle with brain cancer has caused him to be apart from his team, he managed to make opening night last night.
You can read the whole story — and see pictures — of Carter’s appearance at the game. It’s not an easy read/view. Carter is clearly not well, as we knew from recent reports of his cancer battle.
But it is nonetheless inspiring to see him fight what is no doubt tremendous pain and exhaustion to make to the game and to see the young men he no doubt wishes he was coaching right now as they begin the season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)