Feb 3, 2012, 2:45 PM EST
Gary Carter is the coach of the Palm Beach Atlantic University baseball team. And even though his battle with brain cancer has caused him to be apart from his team, he managed to make opening night last night.
You can read the whole story — and see pictures — of Carter’s appearance at the game. It’s not an easy read/view. Carter is clearly not well, as we knew from recent reports of his cancer battle.
But it is nonetheless inspiring to see him fight what is no doubt tremendous pain and exhaustion to make to the game and to see the young men he no doubt wishes he was coaching right now as they begin the season.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)