How many relievers do the Dodgers plan on carrying this year?

Feb 3, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT

Kenley Jansen Getty Images

The Dodgers just spent another $1.3 million to add Todd Coffey to what already appeared to be a full bullpen. It’s not a bad deal — worse relievers have signed for more money this winter — but I’m not sure what they felt they needed him for.

The Dodgers already have the following relievers on the 40-man roster. I’m including my 2012 ERA projections in the list:

1. Kenley Jansen – 2.66
2. Scott Elbert – 3.49
3. Matt Guerrier – 3.58
4. Javy Guerra – 3.67
5. Josh Lindblom – 3.68
6. Blake Hawksworth – 3.78
7. Mike MacDougal – 4.21
8. Ramon Troncoso – 4.32
9. Josh Wall – 6.11

That list doesn’t include John Grabow, who was supposed to be a strong candidate for a job after signing a minor league deal, or Ronald Belisario, who will serve a 25-game suspension for a testing positive for a drug of abuse.

Guerra, Jansen, Guerrier, MacDougal and Coffey should be pretty much guaranteed spots, leaving two openings for Elbert, Lindblom, Hawksworth, Troncoso and Grabow. Hawksworth is coming off offseason elbow surgery and might not be ready for Opening Day, so he’ll probably be stashed on the DL. Elbert can still likely be penciled in for one spot, but there’s now a good chance that Lindblom will be Triple-A bound.

1. lostsok - Feb 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I love this. I’ve said for years that if I were an owner/GM I would triple-down on bullpen by stashing proven vets in AAA. Nothing is more frustrating than having a season derailed by a poor bullpen.

This should not be an issue in LA.

Great job Ned Colletti (and I haven’t had the opportunity to say that in a while).

2. nflinla - Feb 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM

If I was the new owner of the Dodgers I’ll fire Ned the first day I became owner.

• bigleagues - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

NONE of us have any idea how hogtied Colletti has been under McTort.

I think Colletti is a lot better than he has been able to showcase. That being said, he probably will get the axe when new ownership takes over . . . just because that’s, ya know, what you do when you buy a team.

But I agree with lostsok – if my budget is on clampdown and I gotto bolster one area – it’s the bullpen. First of all it’s rare that every member of a BP has a good season. Secondly, injuries are almost always a factor and thirdly you have fatigue.

By doubling down like this, you can spread the load more evenly across more arms – which is especially helpful when you are concerned about the back half of your rotation going deep into games.

And, if everything breaks right you may end up with an embarrassment of riches come the trade deadline – which may help acquire some depth elsewhere where its needed.

3. btwicey - Feb 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Jansen will k 115 with a whip under 1

• Jeff M. - Feb 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Man, I sure hope so.

• SmackSaw - Feb 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I actually understood what that meant. Oh no…

4. softballgod - Feb 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

No proven closer, jansen’s #’s are sick but I don’t know if that translates to filling Broxtons giant uni in the 9th

• jya87 - Feb 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Uh.. Javy Guerra?

5. softballgod - Feb 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Maybe that can get MANNY to close

6. spudchukar - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM

This may be more of a reflection on their starting staff.

• AlohaMrHand - Feb 5, 2012 at 10:20 AM

agreed.After Kershaw the rotation is very average.Billingsley is the best 4 inning pitcher in baseball.Then the 5th inning starts and he’s done.Kuroda is gone and there isn’t really anyone who stirs any excitement.Ted Lilly?Really?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet