Feb 3, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
The Dodgers just spent another $1.3 million to add Todd Coffey to what already appeared to be a full bullpen. It’s not a bad deal — worse relievers have signed for more money this winter — but I’m not sure what they felt they needed him for.
The Dodgers already have the following relievers on the 40-man roster. I’m including my 2012 ERA projections in the list:
1. Kenley Jansen – 2.66
2. Scott Elbert – 3.49
3. Matt Guerrier – 3.58
4. Javy Guerra – 3.67
5. Josh Lindblom – 3.68
6. Blake Hawksworth – 3.78
7. Mike MacDougal – 4.21
8. Ramon Troncoso – 4.32
9. Josh Wall – 6.11
That list doesn’t include John Grabow, who was supposed to be a strong candidate for a job after signing a minor league deal, or Ronald Belisario, who will serve a 25-game suspension for a testing positive for a drug of abuse.
Guerra, Jansen, Guerrier, MacDougal and Coffey should be pretty much guaranteed spots, leaving two openings for Elbert, Lindblom, Hawksworth, Troncoso and Grabow. Hawksworth is coming off offseason elbow surgery and might not be ready for Opening Day, so he’ll probably be stashed on the DL. Elbert can still likely be penciled in for one spot, but there’s now a good chance that Lindblom will be Triple-A bound.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 0
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 108
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 65
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)