Feb 3, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
The Dodgers just spent another $1.3 million to add Todd Coffey to what already appeared to be a full bullpen. It’s not a bad deal — worse relievers have signed for more money this winter — but I’m not sure what they felt they needed him for.
The Dodgers already have the following relievers on the 40-man roster. I’m including my 2012 ERA projections in the list:
1. Kenley Jansen – 2.66
2. Scott Elbert – 3.49
3. Matt Guerrier – 3.58
4. Javy Guerra – 3.67
5. Josh Lindblom – 3.68
6. Blake Hawksworth – 3.78
7. Mike MacDougal – 4.21
8. Ramon Troncoso – 4.32
9. Josh Wall – 6.11
That list doesn’t include John Grabow, who was supposed to be a strong candidate for a job after signing a minor league deal, or Ronald Belisario, who will serve a 25-game suspension for a testing positive for a drug of abuse.
Guerra, Jansen, Guerrier, MacDougal and Coffey should be pretty much guaranteed spots, leaving two openings for Elbert, Lindblom, Hawksworth, Troncoso and Grabow. Hawksworth is coming off offseason elbow surgery and might not be ready for Opening Day, so he’ll probably be stashed on the DL. Elbert can still likely be penciled in for one spot, but there’s now a good chance that Lindblom will be Triple-A bound.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 94
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)