Josh Hamilton to hold a press conference this afternoon

Feb 3, 2012, 11:53 AM EDT

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

According to Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest, Josh Hamilton will hold a press conference at 1 p.m. CT (2 p.m. ET) at Rangers Ballpark this afternoon to address his reported relapse from addiction.

Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News reported last night that Hamilton was spotted drinking alcohol Monday night at a bar in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. In response to the report, the Rangers said they were¬†“aware of a situation, but we don’t have further comment at this time.”

Josh Hamilton’s wife, Katie, wrote the following via her Twitter account earlier this morning:

source:

1. crashdog - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Is he sober enough to drive to the park?

Let the thumbs down begin……let’s make it unanimous!

2. sdelmonte - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM

In other words, it looks like he will stand in front of the world and say, “yeah, I fell off the wagon.” Not everyone in his situation would do that.

Also, I just want to say that, assuming the reports are correct, Ian Kinsler gets some kudos from me for going after his teammate. Not everyone would do that, either.

• Lisa - Feb 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Yes, many props for Kins. Good man, good friend!

3. fissels - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:24 PM

WE ALL fall down in some way. The important thing is to get back up and keep going. I wish you all the best Josh and I’m praying for you

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Please take care of yourself, Josh. Many of us fans love you and want to see you healthy.

5. diehardcubbiefan4life - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:43 PM

What a man. Not often you see anyone (much less an athlete that gets judged by the media every day) stand up and say “Yea, I made a mistake. But I’m not going to let it happen again.” Kudos to Josh Hamilton for having the cajones to admit his mistake. I hope that he once and for all rids himself of this horrible addiction.

• kyleortonsarm - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Yeah, just like the last mistake he made that he was never going to let happen again. He probably beats his wife every day and tells her the same thing. What a nut job.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

And you are an idiot. Go back to PFT, jagoff.

• Lisa - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM

John 8:7 – They kept demanding an answer, so He stood up again, and said “All right, stone her. But let those who have never sinned throw the first stones.”

-Unless the above rings true for you, sir, maybe you should watch what you say.

The hateful words you type are as dirty as the mistakes he made. A sin, is a sin, is a sin. And he’s publicly apologized for his. Can we say the same for you?

• crashdog - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Does the apology not lose some substance if he has to dust it off and spell check it every couple of years? I truly wish him the best and hope this doesn’t happen again. However, I can’t give him all this credit for repeating the same thing he did 2 years ago.

• Lisa - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Do you know anyone, personally, who’s battled addiction? I do. It never got easier to see him fall but I always accepted the apology and believed in him, with all I had, that this next time would be the final battle and he’d kick the demons. My brother has won, I tell you with a grateful heart. But until you witness the battle between good and evil over someone’s soul first hand, you can’t possibly understand that an apology is sometimes all they can offer you. And while it hurts like hell, and it’s hard to trust, they mean it with everything they have in them. If he keeps falling, by all means keep apologizing…it’s one of the first steps in the right direction. I’ll hear him out until he no longer feels the need to. I understand you weren’t coming down on Josh…just wanted to give you a glance at his apology from a different angle. I personally don’t feel he owes us, as fans, anything…but I commend him for facing the music so publicly.

• jimbo1949 - Feb 3, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Somebody, somewhere, said: it’s not how many times you fall that counts, it’s how many times you get up.

6. psuravens19 - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I would love for him to get up and say, I was drinking an O’douhls or something non-alcoholic. I haven’t read in any reports that he was drunk acting inappropriately.

• crashdog - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM

You apparently haven’t seen any of the tweets from the skanks he was hanging out with that night…….

• goforthanddie - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Nah, some of us realize how pointless Twatter is.

7. rangerfanokie - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM

We must all remember that we are only human, and even though he is a very high profile athlete, he is only human and we should not judge so readily. I wish him and his family all the best and lets just all show him the same support as we do when he is doing great in his performance on the field.

8. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I guess I am going to have an opinion that is on the unpopular side here, but I think it is a BIG mistake to hold this press conference. I think he should drop out of the public view and maybe go to a clinic for 30 or 60 days. What he doesn’t need to do is assemble some large gathering of the media and be there live to explain himself. He can issue a statement and ask for privacy while he deals with this and nobody would have a single complaint. Doing this type of thing, while it sounds great and it sounds like he is addressing his addiction head-on, to me seems very counter-productive. I’m not talking about putting his head in the sand and forgetting about what happened Monday night. I’m talking about staying away from the limelight and any potential questions about this incident or his addiction in general. Both this incident and his addiction are nobody’s business.

But to each his own and if he thinks this is the best way to go about it, then kudos to him. I just 180 degrees in the way I think and the way I would advise him or someone in his position.

• nategearhart - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I say the presser is fine if there’s more to the story than “he went to a bar and drank”. BUT I don’t personally think he owes the fans an apology or anything like that.

• xmatt0926x - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I agree totally. I don’t think a press conference is needed to say he made a mistake and had a drink. He’s a public figure but it just seems to be overkill to have to have a press conference to ask strangers for forgiveness for a mistake like this. He owes his family and team an apology, not the world. Unless there is a deeper storry to this then a press release would seem to suffice.

• Lisa - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I could not agree with you more!

9. stex52 - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM

TIme for any of those who doubted to see the obvious. He is in this for life, and there is no “cure.”

Maybe the baseball season is best for him because of the enforced activity. How he copes after that will just be up to him and his family.

10. perfectgame300 - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Here’s a preview:

• goforthanddie - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Couldn’t be that entertaining.

11. yettyskills - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:18 PM

So I gotta ask all the bleeding hearts for the million dollar drunk, when you’re walking down the street (if you live in a city) and see the penniless drunk on the ground, you do give him money and tell him how much you hope he can turn things around right?
    Wish him the best and all that?
    Im guessing 10% of yas do, and another 20% gives money and says nothing while the remains 70% pretend you don’t see him.

12. natsattack - Feb 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I saw a fan at a rangers fan at the red sox game, whose son goes to school together with Hamilton’s kids, and he had nothing but the best to say about Hamilton.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto