Feb 3, 2012, 12:14 PM EDT
Rex Hudler, the “Wonder Dog” himself, is shaping up as the favorite to take over as the Kansas City Royals color guy, according to the Star’s Bob Dutton.
Hudler, who was let go by the Angels two years ago, would replace former Royals star Frank White.
Hudler and Steve Physioc made up one of the game’s worst TV teams before both being replaced at the same time prior to the 2010 season. Hudler’s enthusiasm may have been cherished by a few Angels fans, but it’s basically all he brings to the job. It’s doubtful any other broadcasting team did less homework on the league as a whole than Hudler and Physioc did.
Of course, White’s problem was that he was overly critical of the Royals, so FOX Sports Kansas City now wants to go as far in the opposite direction as possible. And that is Hudler; no one can celebrate a productive out quite like the Wonder Dog.
But this is just a totally evil plan. The Royals finally look to be worth watching after 25 years of irrelevance, and now is looks like they’re going to be saddled with an unlistenable broadcast.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 25
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)