Royals fans don’t deserve this. No one deserves this.

Feb 3, 2012, 12:14 PM EST

Rex Hudler

Rex Hudler, the “Wonder Dog” himself, is shaping up as the favorite to take over as the Kansas City Royals color guy, according to the Star’s Bob Dutton.

Hudler, who was let go by the Angels two years ago, would replace former Royals star Frank White.

Hudler and Steve Physioc made up one of the game’s worst TV teams before both being replaced at the same time prior to the 2010 season. Hudler’s enthusiasm may have been cherished by a few Angels fans, but it’s basically all he brings to the job. It’s doubtful any other broadcasting team did less homework on the league as a whole than Hudler and Physioc did.

Of course, White’s problem was that he was overly critical of the Royals, so FOX Sports Kansas City now wants to go as far in the opposite direction as possible. And that is Hudler; no one can celebrate a productive out quite like the Wonder Dog.

But this is just a totally evil plan. The Royals finally look to be worth watching after 25 years of irrelevance, and now is looks like they’re going to be saddled with an unlistenable broadcast.

1. Matt Adams - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Oh god. I went on a lengthy rant just yesterday about how he was the worst of all MLB announcers before he was kicked out of Anaheim. And I listen to Hawk effing Harrelson everyday!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I was about to remark on Hawk. I watch Rex on MLBN when he’s on and he makes me cringe. He makes Eric Byrnes look like Ben Stein.

• APBA Guy - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Now that’s funny-and true!

• unclearnie - Feb 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Nobody, I mean nobody is worse that Harrelson.

2. Stacey - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Oh dear that is a total nightmare.

3. sportsdrenched.com - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I can take Hudler is small doses. Not sure I could take game, after game of his act. Especially since Frazier is in the running too. And that’s if you can get past the Frank White thing.

S-Canning Frank White, and cancelling fanfast….Royals better be good this year or what little of the fanbase remains will get a lot smaller.

4. deathmonkey41 - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM

He’s got to be better than Chris Berman.

• crashdog - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Actually, he isn’t. That’s how bad this guy is.

5. stevem7 - Feb 3, 2012 at 12:50 PM

What Royals fans don’t deserve is an idiot like Matthew Pouliot spewing his opinion of someone he knows nothing about. Rex Hudler played the game, knows the game, and is an avid homeboy announcer who provides balanced reporting. What Royals fans deserve is Matthew Pouliot being sent to Tampa Bay to cover their announcers so he can get a true appreciation for what Hudler and Physioc accomplished. They are almost HOF compared to the Rays guys.

• danrizzle - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Hey, if you don’t like the post, man, then howsabout you just SKIP OVER IT! WE’LL BE FINE withoutcha. [Am I doing this right?]

In all seriousness, I doubt anybody appreciates the blatant, immature name-calling.

• nightman13 - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Playing the game means nothing other than they had physical talent. Knowing the game is much different and actually in my experience, most of those that played know less about the game than they should. It’s not as prevalent in MLB as it is in the NFL, though.

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM

“I use a computer everyday, but should I be doing tech support? Not unless you want “turn it off and turn it back on” as your answer to any issue.”

I’ve been doing tech support for almost 20 yrs and I can’t tell you how many times that actually does solve problems. When in doubt, reboot.

• Bryz - Feb 3, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I’m in full agreement. It annoys me that former players are practically handed analyst jobs just because they used to play and know what it’s like to be an “insider.” Like being a coach or manager, being a good player does not guarantee that you know how to articulate how to play the game to an audience.

Bert Blyleven is a Hall of Fame pitcher, but I cannot fully express how sick I am of telling us that the key to being a good pitcher is “getting on top of the ball” and “creating a good downward plane.” If that’s all that you needed, then dammit, why don’t we have more Jon Rauchs and Chris Youngs in the major leagues?

• cur68 - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Check it out everyone: Rex Hudler (or his mom) reads & comments on HBT under the handle stevem7! I love the interwebs.

• paperlions - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Rex’s mom is named Steve?

• cur68 - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Wouldn’t be a bit surprised if she was named Steve. He has to get his inability to accurately portray things in a logical manner from somewhere.

• owenpoin - Feb 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM

One day the Hudlers woke to the inexplicable but undeniable reality that they had rotated names: the mom was Steve, the dog was Marjorie, Rex was Rex, and his father had taken Rex’s given name of Wonder. Now, like the starry-eyed hound who’s name he took, Rex wags his tail for just about anything that involves throwing and fetching balls.

6. mlbbal52 - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Has the royals joke of a franchise gotten so bad that they have given up on the Royals fans not deserving a crappy team that brings up the rear in the AL central every year to how bad their commentators are?

Who cares who announces the games…WIN!

7. Jonny 5 - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I wish the Royals would hire Chris Wheeler.

• phillysoulfan - Feb 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I’d drive Wheeler and McCarthy to KC

• The Rabbit - Feb 3, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Sorry to hear he hasn’t improved with age and experience.
      When I lived in Philly and Wheeler was first hired, most of my friends just assumed that he had compromising pics of someone in the organization. It was painful when he was on the air. Fortunately, we still had Harry and Whitey and could switch back and forth between radio and TV.
      Jonny, out of curiousity, do the Phillies currently have any competent announcers? I don’t have access to the games here in Cardinals territory unless I pick up Gameday Audio.

8. mirmz - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM

As a lifelong Halos fan who watched way too many games called by Phys and Rex, all I can say is, I’m sorry. You didn’t think being a Royals fan could be any worse and then they hire this guy.

9. xmatt0926x - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Johnny5, Wheeler, while annoying sometimes, is light years better than either Berman or Hawk Harrelson. I used to like Berman on NFL Primetime years ago but he truely has evolved into a guy just playing the “Chris Berman” character with his constant ,exagerrated bellowing on even the most basic sentences out of his mouth. Then as a baseball announcer I think I’ve never heard anyone worse. I had the misfortune of driving home from work and listening to a phillies playoff game on the radio and he was announcing. I swear he just told stories the whole time while the game action could be heard in the backround and he wouldn’t tell you what the frig was happening in the game!! You would hear a crack of the bat in a playoff game and the details would have to wait until he was done whatever story he was talking about at that moment. As far as Harrelson, I always heard about the homer stuff but until I got MLB Network and could hear him do a whole inning, I never realized why he was so hated. What a buffoon. I don’t mind some homerism from the local announcers but he is just way over the top and it’s excruciating to listen to. If Hudler is indeed worse than these guys than a new barrier has been broken!!

10. papacrick - Feb 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM

If this guy is really worse than Hawk then I feel truly sorry for KC fans. Now that my curiosity has been sparked, does anybody have a link where I can here this guy?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

He’s on MLBN once in a blue moon. Probably as a replacement.

11. yankeesgameday - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Hudler and McCarver are the reasons I watch baseball with the sound off.

12. yettyskills - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM

This is the goof you have calling your games royals fans.
    Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

• RickyB - Feb 3, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Had a teammate in college 22 years ago eat a bug (woolly worm to be precise) for money, but each player only put up a dollar. $13, had to chew it three times show it on his tongue and swallow. We forgot to stipulate he had to swallow it dry, because he swigged it back with water, but we paid up anyway. Good times, good times …

13. The Baseball Idiot - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Re hurdle + Ryan Lefebvre = Dayton Moore is the messiah .
    When in fact we know he is really a very naughty boy.

• The Baseball Idiot - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Sorry, Rex Hudler.

I’m deep into my warmup for the Six Nations.

14. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I’ll only listen if he uses the name ‘Firecrotch McGee.’

15. mlbbal52 - Feb 3, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Hey my post got dislikes? That’s odd I was simply stating that the Royals fans don’t deserve to keep watching their franchise not do well and that who announces games should be the last thing they are worried about. I mean if I am a Royal fan I’d like to see who they signed or traded for to make the team better. But hey if Rex Hudler being the new announcer is the hot ticket right now then so be it…

16. crisisjunky - Feb 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Surely lawmakers, educators, and parents across the Heart of America will re-think their respective positions on “Truth In School.” After a seaon of Hudler on the transistor, they must come to the conclusion there is no God.

Go Royals…. but K.C.Fans; to get an idea of what your in for this year, put on a tape of a game from last September, turn down the sound, and put on a good Spike Jones record and turn up the volume on that.

17. luckywi - Feb 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Just love guy’s who have no idea they have no actual charisma, but act like they do. I feel for you Royals fans. I really do.

18. realgone2 - Feb 4, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Just listening to that part with Rome was painful. Does he really sound like that all the time? Are any of them worse than Chip Caray? People down here in GA have been trying to ride him out of town for the last 2 years. He is pretty god awful

19. kcredneck - Feb 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM

i’d rather listen to justin beiber pass gas.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4411)