Feb 3, 2012, 12:14 PM EDT
Rex Hudler, the “Wonder Dog” himself, is shaping up as the favorite to take over as the Kansas City Royals color guy, according to the Star’s Bob Dutton.
Hudler, who was let go by the Angels two years ago, would replace former Royals star Frank White.
Hudler and Steve Physioc made up one of the game’s worst TV teams before both being replaced at the same time prior to the 2010 season. Hudler’s enthusiasm may have been cherished by a few Angels fans, but it’s basically all he brings to the job. It’s doubtful any other broadcasting team did less homework on the league as a whole than Hudler and Physioc did.
Of course, White’s problem was that he was overly critical of the Royals, so FOX Sports Kansas City now wants to go as far in the opposite direction as possible. And that is Hudler; no one can celebrate a productive out quite like the Wonder Dog.
But this is just a totally evil plan. The Royals finally look to be worth watching after 25 years of irrelevance, and now is looks like they’re going to be saddled with an unlistenable broadcast.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 65
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)