Feb 3, 2012, 12:14 PM EST
Rex Hudler, the “Wonder Dog” himself, is shaping up as the favorite to take over as the Kansas City Royals color guy, according to the Star’s Bob Dutton.
Hudler, who was let go by the Angels two years ago, would replace former Royals star Frank White.
Hudler and Steve Physioc made up one of the game’s worst TV teams before both being replaced at the same time prior to the 2010 season. Hudler’s enthusiasm may have been cherished by a few Angels fans, but it’s basically all he brings to the job. It’s doubtful any other broadcasting team did less homework on the league as a whole than Hudler and Physioc did.
Of course, White’s problem was that he was overly critical of the Royals, so FOX Sports Kansas City now wants to go as far in the opposite direction as possible. And that is Hudler; no one can celebrate a productive out quite like the Wonder Dog.
But this is just a totally evil plan. The Royals finally look to be worth watching after 25 years of irrelevance, and now is looks like they’re going to be saddled with an unlistenable broadcast.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)