Feb 3, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Cabrera, who is 26, is coming off a great year: he hit .273/.332/.460 and socked 25 homers, scored 87 runs, drove in 92 and stole 17 bases.
Still: that was basically an explosion in production. There was some suggestion in his last previous full season that the power was developing — it was more doubles power — but it’s possible that 2011 was a bit of a fluke.
Not saying that a long-term deal is a bad idea — shortstop talent is scarce and the Tribe should lock him up if they can — but it’s possible that this is the best that we’ll ever see him play, so you don’t want to go too crazy yet.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20