Feb 3, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Cabrera, who is 26, is coming off a great year: he hit .273/.332/.460 and socked 25 homers, scored 87 runs, drove in 92 and stole 17 bases.
Still: that was basically an explosion in production. There was some suggestion in his last previous full season that the power was developing — it was more doubles power — but it’s possible that 2011 was a bit of a fluke.
Not saying that a long-term deal is a bad idea — shortstop talent is scarce and the Tribe should lock him up if they can — but it’s possible that this is the best that we’ll ever see him play, so you don’t want to go too crazy yet.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)