Feb 3, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Cabrera, who is 26, is coming off a great year: he hit .273/.332/.460 and socked 25 homers, scored 87 runs, drove in 92 and stole 17 bases.
Still: that was basically an explosion in production. There was some suggestion in his last previous full season that the power was developing — it was more doubles power — but it’s possible that 2011 was a bit of a fluke.
Not saying that a long-term deal is a bad idea — shortstop talent is scarce and the Tribe should lock him up if they can — but it’s possible that this is the best that we’ll ever see him play, so you don’t want to go too crazy yet.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17