Yes, Jose Reyes just got his haircut on television

Feb 3, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT

Jose Reyes gets a haircut

Do you want a sign that we have reached the absolute nadir of offseason boredom? Jose Reyes just had his haircut televised live on MLB Network. Seriously.

Reyes had let his trademark dreadlocks grow since 2007, but he signed his big $106 million deal with the Marlins in December with the knowledge that he would have to get them cut off. Miami’s team policy prohibits hair below the helmet line.

The picture to the right shows the haircut in progress, but the Marlins’ Twitter feed has a picture of the new-look shortstop.

Reyes seemed a bit traumatized by the experience, to be honest, but it’s at least going to a good cause. His old locks have been put up on Ebay and proceeds will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Southern Florida. In fact, the bidding is live right now. The starting bid is $2,500, if you are so inclined.

1. cur68 - Feb 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Uh, yeah…I took a look at Reyes without the hair and my first thought was “Eric Thames”. Yeah that’s the guy you want your brand new, face of the franchise, mega bucks star shortstop being associated with: a nice enough, earnest enough and no where near as accomplished rookie outfielder with the Toronto Beaver Men. Meanwhile that art deco (fully operational) Death Tower in the MBMF is nearing completion. THAT’LL attract the fans, oh hell yeah…

• rambodiaz - Feb 3, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I think it’s rather funny that a franchise whose ownership is derided for making moves that we as fans consider garish or in bad taste is forcing its players to abide by certain grooming policies.

Also, if you don’t want him, cur, send Thames Pittsburgh-way. I think he’s going to be a nice piece at some point. ‘specially if he can take a few more walks. What’s the general thought on him?

• cur68 - Feb 3, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Well, I was really disheartening to find that Mathew Poulliot didn’t think much of Thame’s range as a left fielder nor did he care for him at the plate. Poulliot routinely does rather well assessing players and teams over at rotoworld, so his judgement is usually pretty good. I however saw Thames play a lot last season and feel differently. Kid hustles, plays with some fire and, like I said, is a nice enough, earnest enough kid. Talent wise, I think he has to wait for his pitch, learn to slap singles on the inside pitches, lay off the slider entirely and shorten his swing juuuuust a smidgen. He’s quick on the basepaths, though he’s had injuries to a hammy (needing surgery). I thought his outfielding was solid and steady if unspectacular. If he comes in BSOL, then I see him having a nice season. NO WAY do I want him traded: not till he’s had a full season so as I can see what he’s made of. Pirates should take a flyer on Snider. I think a change of scenery would do wonders for that kid. He can rake if he ever learns to lay off low and away.

2. dondada10 - Feb 3, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I heard the Mets went to Ebay to see the dreads, but didn’t make Jose an offer.

3. rambodiaz - Feb 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Here’s hoping that Make-A-Wish makes bags of cash on this. All the bad news that’s been going on today is making me physically ill. I think we could use some good news.

• cur68 - Feb 3, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Yeah: this.

4. natstowngreg - Feb 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM

This may not be the nadir, but you can see the nadir from here. IMHO, it was Tom Brady’s opinions on the subject of Derek Jeter.

5. Old Gator - Feb 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I had planned to watch this stupid haircut, just so I could tell my great grandchildren that I had, but then I saw the news that Ben Gazzara had died today and I kinda lost interest in Scrooge McLoria’s anal grooming policy.

I could run through all his classic roles, and they were legion, but I’ll just mention having seen him a few years ago in New York in the one-man play Nobody Don’t Like Yogi. He became Yogi Berra for two hours. He managed to take four or five inches off his height just by bending and contracting himslef – you saw Yogi on the stage, not Ben Gazzara. Astonishing.

Hope you’re enjoying your reunion with Peter and John, Big Ben.

6. Bryz - Feb 4, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I didn’t watch the haircut. How many times did they go to commercial before they actually cut off the locks? Did Matt Vasgersian ever say, “We will start cutting Jose’s hair… right after this commercial break!”?

7. bbk1000 - Feb 4, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Did I read correctly in that linked article that when he had his dreads Reyes said he washed his hair once a month? That’s less times in 5 years than the average person washed in 2 months…haha, that had to be a bit rank smelling………

• dondada10 - Feb 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM

You can’t really wash your hair too much when you have dreads. Your natural oil is what give it that bonded look. The times he washed it were probably the times he got them redid.

• bbk1000 - Feb 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Wow, thanks, I honestly didn’t know that. If I didn’t wash mine often it would get ugly, real ugly, haha.

• Old Gator - Feb 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Clearly, you have never decorated with flies. It’s considered very chic in the tropics.

8. realgone2 - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Did they sign the trimmings to a multi million dollar contract?

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline