Feb 4, 2012, 10:42 AM EDT
This whole topic definitely pushes the boundaries of what we’re willing to talk about here at HardballTalk, as it’s only relevant because Brian Cashman is the general manager of the New York Yankees, but since we’ve followed the ugly and bizarre situation regarding his alleged extramarital affairs this week, it only makes sense that we also pass this story along.
According to Liz Sadler, Jeane Macintosh and Dan Mangan of the New York Post, Cashman’s wife has filed for divorce.
The wife of Yankees general manager Brian Cashman filed for divorce yesterday — a day after her husband was publicly accused of a second affair, this time with a woman who has been charged with shaking him down, The Post has learned.
Mary Cashman, 42, submitted divorce papers in Stamford, Conn., Superior Court, listing her husband as “B.M. Cashman” and writing that the marriage “has broken down irretrievably.”
She is seeking permanent alimony, a split of their property, and joint custody of their 13-year-old daughter and 8-year-old son.
Mary Cashman, who has now endured two publicly humiliating allegations of her husband’s philandering, has been living apart from Brian Cashman in the family’s $3.7 million Darien mansion with the kids, sources said.
She hired top divorce counsel Gaetano Ferro, who repped Jane Welch during her half-billion-dollar split from former GE boss Jack Welch.
And with that out of the way, let’s move on to some actual baseball news.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)