Buster Posey progressing with rehab, but says ankle isn’t yet 100 percent

Feb 4, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT

posey wider Getty Images

Buster Posey still expects to be ready for the start of the season, but he told Rael Enteen of CSNBayArea.com during Giants’ media day yesterday that his surgically-repaired left ankle is “not 100 percent yet.”

“The games will be a whole new level and I’m excited to see how [my ankle] responds,” Posey said Friday. “I think it will respond well but it’s a long season, whether you’re 100 percent healthy or not…I’m happy with where I am and I’m optimistic for having a good, healthy season.”

Posey is currently working his way back from three torn ligaments in his left ankle and a fractured leg suffered in a nasty home plate collision with Marlins’ outfielder Scott Cousins last May. While the 24-year-old still deals with some soreness in the mornings, the good news is that he said the ankle feels good from the crouch position.

On a related note, Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Giants manager Bruce Bochy and general manager Brian Sabean are already talking about playing Posey at first base once a week, if not more, in order to keep his bat in the lineup and lessen his workload behind the plate.

“The work’s been done,” Sabean said. “(Trainer Dave) Groeschner has been pleased with where they are. But we’ll be very conscious and diligent about what his schedule will be gamewise. At the finish line is to get him ready to be the opening-day catcher and then to figure from there how many games he can catch.

“But that will evolve as we see the workload and what that ankle can tolerate. Because everything he does is weight bearing, whether it’s shifting or throwing or blocking.”

Posey started 31 games at first base during his rookie season in 2010, mostly due to the presence of Bengie Molina, and made two starts there prior to last year’s season-ending injury. If the Giants truly intend to play him at first base at least once a week, one wonders whether Brandon Belt will be Fresno-bound to begin the season.

1. yettyskills - Feb 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

So what you’re saying is…..

Buster Posey ISN’T in the best shape of his life?

Thank God, not that I don’t like me some Buster, but another “best shape in his life” story might make me puke.

• deepstblu - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM

On the radio broadcasts of the NFL playoffs, commercials for a major sporting goods retailer have been exhorting the listener to “get in the best shape of your life.” Thanks to HBT, I’ve been chuckling every time they come on.

2. yournuts - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

It would be better served to install Buster permanently at first base. It makes no sense to require him to even be in a position to et hurt again. Brian Sabean should find another catcher.

3. bigdicktater - Feb 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Consider that:

A) other players on defense (including first basemen) are injured.
    B) Buster calls a good game.
    C) The staff has confidence in him.
    D) The Giants have Belt, Huff, and Pill to play first, at least for 2012.

4. Walk - Feb 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM

First is also tougher on the feet and ankles. I cringe thinking about him rolling his ankle or twisting his knee trying go for bad throws. Please let the young man recover and do not bring him back too soon. I honestly want to see him playing soon but he has such a bright future. Third might be a better option if he has played some time there.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3274)