Cecil Fielder on his son Prince: “I think we’re all a little disappointed”

Feb 4, 2012, 9:57 AM EDT

Prince Fielder Cecil Fielder

After Prince Fielder shocked the baseball world by signing a nine-year, $214 million contract with the Tigers late last month, Cecil Fielder was quoted as saying that the relationship with his son was “doing a lot better.” Obviously something has changed over the past few days, because Cecil had some harsh words for Prince before his induction into the Ted Williams Hitters Hall of Fame last night.

Via Marc Topkin of the Tampa Times:

“As a father, of course you’re proud of what your son’s been able to accomplish on the field,” Cecil Fielder, 48, said. “But as a father also you worry about how he is growing as a man, how — I want to say this correctly — how he is communicating with everybody that had something to do with how he got to where he is. And that part of my son, I think we’re all a little disappointed.”

Cecil said that Prince has no relationship with members of his extended family and that he was thrown out of the family room when he went to see his son play in Atlanta a couple of years ago. He also claims that Prince “hides behind” his agent, Scott Boras, to avoid answering questions about his family.

“There’s a lot of people that wish he would get over whatever he’s got going on with his self. … And once he gets rid of that, I think those people he needs to reach out to other than me, I think hopefully he will.”

“I know what I did for my son, and he knows what I did for him,” Cecil Fielder said. “I’m going to take the high road, stay away from it and not cause any friction. … You play for the Tigers, I played for the Tigers, do your thing. … If you want to stay stuck whatever cocoon you’re in, stay there, but I’m not going to join you.”

Cecil painting his son as the bad guy isn’t anything new, but keep in mind that he went through a contentious divorce with Prince’s mother, gambled away a lot of the family’s money and allegedly took $200,000 of Prince’s signing bonus when he was drafted by the Brewers in 2002. It’s a complicated situation and Prince obviously has his reasons for keeping his distance.

Ultimately this stuff isn’t our business, but like it or not, the status of their relationship will be a pretty familiar storyline now that Prince has followed in his father’s footsteps by joining the Tigers.

1. crookedstick - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I just wonder if Prince was going to work at an auto plant in Detroit instead of playing for the Tigers, if his Dearest Daddy would pay him any mind at all? BTW: Taking the high road would mean keeping your mouth shut and not dragging family business through the media.

• D.J. Short - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Indeed.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Cecil is exactly like my father. I am thought of exactly like Prince in my family. Literally, it’s uncanny, and articles about Prince and Cecil are terrifying for me to read because they’re basically my dad and I with different names. *shivers*

2. brewcitybummer - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Life is complicated enough without a shady, manipulative and exploitative father. I don’t usually feel bad for pro athletes but I feel for Prince when it comes to this crap.

• ptfu - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Congratulations Cecil, you’ve made Prince look even more impressive. Prince takes out his frustration, justified or not, against nothing other than fastballs over the plate.

Cecil: SHUT UP

3. cerowb - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:27 AM

If taking the high road involves telling the media that you’re disappointed in your son, I’d hate to see the low road.

4. realgone2 - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Cecil you’re a piece of crap has been. It must suck knowing that your son will end up being way better than you.

5. craigsimsrules - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Nothing better than taking the high road, right Cecil? I believe taking the high road means you won’t have anything bad to say about the subject. Instead he throws his son under the bus. None of us know the whole story to why these two hate each other. And the article is correct in saying that it’s none of our business. But for some reason Cecil wants to make it every one’s business. I’m sure both of them have done stuff they regret and maybe their relationship cannot be repaired who really knows. But I do know that Cecil sounds like a broken down degenerate who needs to realize his son wants nothing to do with him. And maybe Cecil should look in the mirror and work on hisself rather than worrying about Prince

6. bigleagues - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I know how complicated my relationship with my Dad has become . . . and there wasn’t any money involved.

To be honest I feel a little slimey reading about this stuff, but compelling human interest curiosity always pulls me in.

7. canucks18 - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Prince is going to shatter his dads numbers and the day when that comes he will talk to the media with a short but sweet, “Hey, take that and stuff it up your ass!!!” hahahaha

• djpostl - Feb 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Prince already has shattered his dad’s numbers.

8. jbandit2116 - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Cecil ate my hamburger once

• JBerardi - Feb 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Just once?

• Old Gator - Feb 5, 2012 at 1:02 AM

And he apparently drank Prince’s milkshake too.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Damn you, Gator! Now I have that flippin’ milkshake song stuck in my head!!!!!

• samuellsamson - Feb 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

That milkshake caused all the boys to go yard.

9. paperlions - Feb 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Let me translate: “A lot of his family would like to mooch money off of him, but we can’t even get close enough to him to be effective grifters. His damned agent keeps protecting his interests, when he should be hiring unqualified relatives to take care of his business. If he wasn’t so tight fisted, I wouldn’t have had to steal his signing bonus, he would have just given to me like a grateful son should.”

• cur68 - Feb 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Yep, that’s about the size of it, IMO. Personally I sum the whole thing up with “Prince won’t give me any of his money.” Funny how Prince’s Mother never says this kind of stuff about Prince. In fact she’s pretty much only in the news for her not-for-profit wealth empowerment and financial literacy institute as opposed to ripping on her son, unlike Cecil.

• JBerardi - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM

“In fact she’s pretty much only in the news for her not-for-profit wealth empowerment and financial literacy institute as opposed to ripping on her son, unlike Cecil.

It’s never easy to choose between two parents. Except when it is.

• quintjs - Feb 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Interesting side question – not that it would be likely to ever happen, but if Prince offered Cecil a deal, $1m to shut up and never be heard from again, would nano-seconds to too broad a time measurement to accurately gauge how quickly Cecil would sign the contract?

10. bleed4philly - Feb 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Sounds lika deadbeat dad to me.

11. chiadam - Feb 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Allow me translate from my Cecil-to-English dictionary…”We’re all a little disappointed” means “I’m pissed because my son won’t give me any money.”

12. largebill - Feb 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

When a son goes into the same field as his father there can be weird dynamics psychologically. My oldest brother went to work for my dad and was fired about a week later. A few years later my second oldest brother went to work for our dad and still works there 30+ years later. Obviously, in competitive sports you can use stats to directly compare your success to your child’s success. Most of us would take great pride in seeing our kids do better than we did. However, if you are weak emotionally it can be difficult to accept your child surpassing you. Then add in that Cecil apparently is broke having wasted his baseball earnings and now he sees Prince signing a contract for more than he could ever spend. . . . . and it is easy to see how he wrongly reached a conclusion that Prince has some sort of financial obligation to the extended family (which would OF COURSE include Cecil).

Obviously, the best response Prince could have is no response at all. If a reporter raises the question he should quickly shut him down and make it clear he is not going to discuss it at all.

13. ermur22 - Feb 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM

What a piece go sh*t Cecil is…he doesn’t deserve to know or even speak about his son. He should just shut his mouth!

14. thom4msu - Feb 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Hey Cesspool- you pissed away your millions, you stupid jackass. Then stole some of Prince’s cash and pissed that away too. You feel entitled more of his wealth? Why?

• JBerardi - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Since when do people need reasons to feel entitled to things?

15. nightrain42 - Feb 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM

True….it’s none of our business!

• Utley's Hair - Feb 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

And yet you continue to click on, possibly read, and comment on posts that you rail against. Why even subject yourself to such rubbish if you feel that you shouldn’t be subjected to it? Seriously, read the title of the link before you click and read. Maybe you’ll find a way to avoid reading stuff that you don’t want to read.

• cur68 - Feb 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Ah yes, UH, but then no one will know how he’s been made to suffer by the likes of DJ Short (as opposed to MC Short who raps about football * ha ha*). This way he can revel in his high minded moralizing and thus be better than the likes of us who clearly enjoy Cecil’s airing of his relationship with Prince. Or something.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Yes, DJ has been quite the torturer in all the posts to which he subjects HBT readers, without giving them the free will and ability to avoid reading. The bastard (well, he is a Mutts fan, after all :P ) even makes us click on the links to the posts.

16. goforthanddie - Feb 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM

“I’m going to take the high road, stay away from it and not cause any friction.”

Just how dumb is this guy to not see he’s lying through his teeth?

• crisisjunky - Feb 4, 2012 at 6:40 PM

It’s not lying if you and a jury of your peers from either your planet,universe or dimension have proof.

17. teedraper - Feb 4, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Cecil still has more money than every single loser that commented above me about how he wants Prince’s money.

Prince Fielder is a joke & always has been a joke. The good book says honor thy mother & thy father. He’ll flame out in Detroit & come crawling back to the people that helped him get where he needs to be.

• pellypell - Feb 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Good book? I don’t recall reading any of that in Baseball Prospectus.

• JBerardi - Feb 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Must be something Bill James wrote.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I believe it also says something about earning your keep and not stealing. But then, it also says that adulterers should be stoned—and not in THAT way—and that nobody should work on the sabbath. But that would push the baseball regular season itself to late October. This picking and choosing Bible references really sucks, doesn’t it?

• mojosmagic - Feb 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Cecil I thought you hocked the computer to pay the pimp?

18. salemlax10 - Feb 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM

It’s sad that because Prince doesn’t want to give hand outs to everyone in the family just because he works for his money, that the whole family hates him… Makes sense that he would stay away from all the moochers…. Family always trying to live off of other success

19. lostsok - Feb 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Cecil ate his way out of baseball, lie, stole and cheated his way out of his family, and now wants to drag his harder-working, more-dedicated and talented son right down into the crap with him.

What a sorry, pathetic man Cecil turned out to be. Heartbreaking.

20. mojosmagic - Feb 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Translation. You hit the jackpot and you aint giving dear old Dad a dime. Loser.

• cmutimmah - Feb 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM

EXACTLY WHAT I’M ASSUMING….

21. latinwarrior - Feb 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

My god! These people are supposed to be athletes? The Prince of Whales would have been better off signing a contract by one million dollars per pound. He would have made 400 millions instead.

22. chalkruz1989 - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I think Cecil Fielder is trying to manipulate people into feeling some sort of sympathy for him. What father would ever drag his own child’s name through the media in the ways he has? If he truly wants to mend things with Prince, he’ll just shutup and let him take his time. Cecil screwed up a lot and now he is seeing his kid eclipse everything he’s ever done and is now becoming envious. He hears the money he signed for and is thinking, ‘damn I screwed up.’

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3793)