Feb 4, 2012, 7:14 PM EST
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports was hearing rumblings in mid-November that the Giants would be one of nine major league teams in the running for Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes. But we can now scratch San Francisco off the list of potential landing spots for the much-hyped 26-year-old outfielder.
Giants GM Brian Sabean told Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle on Saturday that his team is not planning to pursue Cespedes because “the price tag is probably beyond what his talent is.”
Cespedes’ contract is expected surpass $30 million, and early reports even had him approaching the $60 million mark. The Giants have long-term contract negotiations on the horizon with starters Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum, and can’t afford to take such a massive financial risk on a raw and unproven commodity.
The Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Tigers and Orioles are thought to be the most actively involved.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (118)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)