Feb 4, 2012, 7:14 PM EST
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports was hearing rumblings in mid-November that the Giants would be one of nine major league teams in the running for Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes. But we can now scratch San Francisco off the list of potential landing spots for the much-hyped 26-year-old outfielder.
Giants GM Brian Sabean told Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle on Saturday that his team is not planning to pursue Cespedes because “the price tag is probably beyond what his talent is.”
Cespedes’ contract is expected surpass $30 million, and early reports even had him approaching the $60 million mark. The Giants have long-term contract negotiations on the horizon with starters Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum, and can’t afford to take such a massive financial risk on a raw and unproven commodity.
The Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Tigers and Orioles are thought to be the most actively involved.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)