See the Marlins’ new stadium in video game form

Feb 4, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT

Miami Marlins Stadium Construction Baseball

Can’t wait to see what the Marlins’ new stadium will look like when the season begins two months from now? Well, we have something to tide you over.

Via Operationsports.com, here’s a trailer from video game MLB 12 The Show portraying the new ballpark, complete with the much-ballyhooed home run monstrosity in left-center field and the fish tanks behind the home plate wall.

We’ve come a long way from Realsports Baseball, folks. Fun stuff, though I have to say that the folks at Sony are obviously very optimistic about the Marlins’ attendance for this season.

1. a125125125 - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Nice to see that the Miami Marlins are sticking with the understated elegance and class that are hallmarks of their home city.

• rodneysiev - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Awwww someone’s jealous. Don’t worry. I’m sure whatever snow-filled shithole you’re from is a decent place to live. Go whine about your pathetic life elsewhere.

• Old Gator - Feb 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I agree. Macondo is a winter paradise. It’s elegant and humane, you can stiff the homeless without your conscience harassing you at night when the temperature drops below zero that maybe the poor bastard froze to death thanks to your impecuniousness, and no where else will you find the sort of free entertainment our politicians and other local pinwheels provide for us. I was sitting out back in my t-shirt, shorts and sandals sipping a virgin piña colada made with my own home grown coconuts and lime juice in the 80-degree sunshine this afternoon reading a good book and watching some hummingbirds enjoy my feeders and watching my dogs play. Now, if you get sick of your dog, you have to find a way to get rid of it – calls to all sorts of friends to adopt it, taking it to a shelter, all time consuming. We just leave ours out in the yard for the pythons.

2. dondada10 - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM

OT: would it be possible to get a forum for the posters? Something where we could start threads?

3. cur68 - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Riiiiight…make Reyes cut his hair but go with that garish, tasteless, eyesore in CF. Makes all kinds’a friggin’ sense. They better do something to protect those fish aquariums from impact to the tanks, too. Its not at all clear in that CG mock up if there’s a protective barrier to keep foul balls from spilling fish all over the infield.

4. badmamainphilliesjamas - Feb 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM

RE: optimistic about attendance. Look who they’re playing. The Marlins obviously decided against blocking ticket sales to Phillies fans.

• Old Gator - Feb 4, 2012 at 5:05 PM

We need Phillies fan in the stadium so we have someone to blame when fights break out.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Feb 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Awww, OG, I was going to bring you a cheesesteak.

• Old Gator - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:36 PM

As long as it’s tempeh steak on a sprouted grain roll with organic onions and soy cheese, we’re fine. I know quick and painless ways to commit suicide if necessary, and horrible horsemeat and Velveeta™ sandwiches aren’t among them.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I thought you needed Phillies fans in the stadium to interfere with the ball and get outs called in your favor?

• Old Gator - Feb 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

We can impersonate Phillies fans for that purpose ourselves. We just don’t shave or shower for a week, don’t change our t-shirts and don’t spray Shout™ on our beer stains, put on an old Mike Schmidt Phillies jersey that boos itself, and wait by the railing for a foul popup by a Phillies batter that might not be playable unless we seem to interfere with it.

This worked great in Chicago, too. Steve Bartman was actually a Macondo Secreted Service mole.

• cur68 - Feb 5, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Batteries included, right?

5. yettyskills - Feb 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Stadium looks amazing minus the thing in left center

6. rgledz - Feb 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM

@rodneysiev…..

That’s hilarious that you say that, considering the fact that Miami is one of the most depressing cities in the country to live in. With home values dropping to the second lowest in the country behind Detroit. Miami may not lead the league in attendance, but the city will lead the country in unemployment and violent crimes. What a source of pride that is! If you’re not filthy rich in Miami and living in a mansion, it’s not so good in one of the murder/gang capitals of the United States. I’d choose snow filled hell hole over crime and drug filled hell hole any day of the week. Ask Shawn Taylor, you can’t even be comfortable in your home.

• yettyskills - Feb 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Sean*

• rodneysiev - Feb 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Hahaha your jealousy is palpable. I love it. Keep the hate coming. Enjoy crying yourself to sleep.

• rgledz - Feb 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Nice comeback……clearly the truth is “palpable” as you failed to deny any of the things that I stated in my post. At least Old Gator is well spoken and entertaining with his posts, your’s are just meaningless drivel. Truth hurts a little, huh?

7. Old Gator - Feb 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM

rgledz – you a Cleveland fan or a Borg fan?

Irrelevant. Since I am filthy rich and live in a mansion, I couldn’t care less what you think and I’m not concerned about the impoverished. Now pardon me, we’re having Mitt Romney and his wives over for dinner and I have to go open a bottle of Puligny Montrachet to poach the foi gras.

• cur68 - Feb 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Hey, I was watching the news and Jon Stewart was reporting on how your boy the Mittster says you rich folk were “fine” just like those poor folk. I saw on the comedy network, FOX, where they mentioned that story, too. If your boy the Newtster makes it from the fields to the Big White Mansion On The Hill and you really do get a moonbase, will you consider your Lunar State brethren rich or poor or 1/6 as rich or poor as you and will you then be having them by for the foi gras? Assuming they’re rich, of course.

• Old Gator - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Incidentally, did he ever say where he intended to build his moonbase? For all we know it could be a pork barrel project for his home district in Grand Fenwick.

8. gl2006 - Feb 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Marlins attendance jokes…how original and hillarious.

At last report, Marlins season ticket sales are currently top 10 in the Majors. Sure, the true test will be next year, but with the new park and exciting team, maybe we can transfer the attendnace jokes to someone else for a while. How about the A’s or Orioles?

• alexo0 - Feb 4, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Sorry buddy, nice try. With the track records of fans in Miami and Tampa, Florida teams have pretty much established themselves as the butt end of poor attendance jokes.

9. gl2006 - Feb 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Because teams never see their attendance increase…

I’m not saying that the Marlins attendnace hasn’t deserved to have been made fun of in the past, certainly it has been terrible. But take a look at the attendance histories of the Mariners, Braves, Indians, and Brewers just to name a few who have had decades of poor attendance before turning things around (many times because of new ballparks).

10. Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 5, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Skipping the name-calling above, that CF thing is awful but the park looks great. The feesh tanks? Crazy enough to be cool.

But what really intrigues me is that odd curve in the CF wall that seems concave (or is it convex?), bowing towards the RF side of the field? Can some ball hit that curve and just ricochet to RF? Seems unnecessarily odd.

Oh yeah, the video game graphics looks ridiculous.

11. Francisco (FC) - Feb 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I see they showcased two rare events: Polanco striking out and the Marlins hitting a homer in that gigantic stadium of theirs.

I note Oz is in the dugout. Hopefully his video game counterpart is less foul-mouthed and nuts than the real life one.

12. birdman6824 - Feb 5, 2012 at 1:35 PM

(be a pork barrel project for his home district in Grand Fenwick)

I roared at that one

• Old Gator - Feb 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM

In which case you have exquisite taste in classic cinema.

• jcav1029 - Mar 3, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Ok, you both have got to stop or you’ll be banished to the sellers … Uh, I mean cellar.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2977)