Feb 4, 2012, 11:41 AM EST
There appeared to be some good news for the men formerly known as Fausto Carmona and Leo Nunez earlier this week, as Dominican Today quoted William Weissman, consul general for the U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic, as saying the U.S. State Department could pardon Dominican baseball players caught with a false identity.
While many ran away with that one part of his statement, Weissman also said that he wasn’t speaking in reference to any particular case and indicated that players who turn themselves in should be treated differently. Still, with plenty of misinformation flying around, the U.S. Consulate has since clarified Weissman’s comments.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the U.S. Consulate said in a series of Tweets that the main point Weissman was trying to make was that all cases are dealt with individually and that the consequences of fraud include ineligibility to enter the United States for life.
Carmona (whose real name is Roberto Hernandez Heredia) was caught while trying to apply for a travel visa last month while Nunez (now known as Juan Carlos Oviedo) turned himself in last September, but they are both currently cooperating with the U.S. government. However, it’s not yet known if they’ll be granted visas in time for spring training or the start of the season. And even if they are eventually granted entry into the United States, it’s possible they could face punishment from MLB.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)