Feb 4, 2012, 11:41 AM EDT
There appeared to be some good news for the men formerly known as Fausto Carmona and Leo Nunez earlier this week, as Dominican Today quoted William Weissman, consul general for the U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic, as saying the U.S. State Department could pardon Dominican baseball players caught with a false identity.
While many ran away with that one part of his statement, Weissman also said that he wasn’t speaking in reference to any particular case and indicated that players who turn themselves in should be treated differently. Still, with plenty of misinformation flying around, the U.S. Consulate has since clarified Weissman’s comments.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the U.S. Consulate said in a series of Tweets that the main point Weissman was trying to make was that all cases are dealt with individually and that the consequences of fraud include ineligibility to enter the United States for life.
Carmona (whose real name is Roberto Hernandez Heredia) was caught while trying to apply for a travel visa last month while Nunez (now known as Juan Carlos Oviedo) turned himself in last September, but they are both currently cooperating with the U.S. government. However, it’s not yet known if they’ll be granted visas in time for spring training or the start of the season. And even if they are eventually granted entry into the United States, it’s possible they could face punishment from MLB.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)