Feb 5, 2012, 10:48 AM EDT
Big news this Super Bowl Sunday. OK, not quite.
It’s not clear whether the pact will include an invitation to spring training, but Cora would be doutbful to crack St. Louis’ Opening Day roster anyway. He batted just .224/.287/.276 with zero homers and six RBI in 172 plate appearances last season and owns a dreadful .648 career OPS.
The Cardinals are likely to roll with an infield of David Freese (3B), Rafael Furcal (SS), Daniel Descalso (2B) and Lance Berkman (1B) this season, with Tyler Greene and Skip Schumaker serving as backups.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 13
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 51
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 45
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)