Feb 5, 2012, 10:48 AM EDT
Big news this Super Bowl Sunday. OK, not quite.
It’s not clear whether the pact will include an invitation to spring training, but Cora would be doutbful to crack St. Louis’ Opening Day roster anyway. He batted just .224/.287/.276 with zero homers and six RBI in 172 plate appearances last season and owns a dreadful .648 career OPS.
The Cardinals are likely to roll with an infield of David Freese (3B), Rafael Furcal (SS), Daniel Descalso (2B) and Lance Berkman (1B) this season, with Tyler Greene and Skip Schumaker serving as backups.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 190
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)