Feb 5, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
Ankiel, 32, batted just .239/.296/.363 with nine home runs and 37 RBI in 415 plate appearances last season for Washington. He has one of the best outfield arms in baseball, but the former left-handed starter has struggled offensively since posting 25 homers and an .843 OPS with the Cardinals in 2008.
Ankiel will compete for center field duties in camp this spring with Roger Bernadina and Mike Cameron. The Nationals have been trying to find a long-term fix in center for the past couple of years, but they’ll continue to go with patchwork options for now.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)