Feb 5, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
Ankiel, 32, batted just .239/.296/.363 with nine home runs and 37 RBI in 415 plate appearances last season for Washington. He has one of the best outfield arms in baseball, but the former left-handed starter has struggled offensively since posting 25 homers and an .843 OPS with the Cardinals in 2008.
Ankiel will compete for center field duties in camp this spring with Roger Bernadina and Mike Cameron. The Nationals have been trying to find a long-term fix in center for the past couple of years, but they’ll continue to go with patchwork options for now.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)