Feb 6, 2012, 3:25 PM EDT
Last week when Edwin Jackson agreed to a one-year, $11 million deal with the Nationals there were several reports that he turned down multi-year offers elsewhere.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com now has at least one of those offers pegged, reporting that Jackson said no to a three-year proposal from the Pirates believed to be worth around $30 million.
Barring a major injury or the worst season of his career Jackson should have little trouble securing at minimum another nice one-year deal as a free agent again next offseason, but turning down $30 million in guaranteed money for $11 million and the chance to potentially pitch yourself into a bigger deal on the open market is certainly a big risk.
Of course, when you’re 28 years old and the $11 million deal pushes your career earnings to nearly $30 million it’s probably a little easier to take that risk. And agent Scott Boras was no doubt willing to take his chances on Jackson landing a mega-deal next winter.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)