Feb 6, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
After three years as one of the most dominant relievers in baseball Kuo was awful last year, allowing 29 runs in 27 innings. As usual he missed a ton of bats, racking up 36 strikeouts, but Kuo struggled to throw strikes with 23 walks and also battled anxiety issues.
Last season’s problems combined with a lengthy injury history led to Kuo being non-tendered by the Dodgers in December, but he’s still just 30 years old and given his 1.96 ERA and 201 strikeouts in 179 innings from 2008-2010 it’s easy to see why the Mariners took a flier on him.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)