Feb 6, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Dave Van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune asked Jake Peavy if he’s 100 percent healthy heading into spring training and the 30-year-old right-hander gave an answer that can’t be very encouraging to White Sox fans:
I’m as 100 percent as I can be. I don’t know if I’m 100 percent as to what I was four years ago. I know I’m as 100 percent as 100 percent is going to get after what I had done. I guess that’s the best way to say it.
What he “had done” was shoulder surgery in 2010.
Peavy was more effective last season than his ugly 4.92 ERA would suggest, posting a 95/24 K/BB ratio in 112 innings, but his average fastball clocked in at a career-low 90.7 miles per hour and since being traded to the White Sox in mid-2009 he’s started 38 games with a 4.49 ERA. Some of that is due to leaving the National League and pitcher-friendly Petco Park for the American League and hitter-friendly U.S. Cellular Field, but based on his stuff and results Peavy is definitely correct that he hasn’t been the same since exiting San Diego.
And unfortunately for the White Sox he’s owed $17 million this season and will have to be bought out for $4 million–instead of a $22 million option–next year.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 18
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 5
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)