Jake Peavy admits he isn’t the same pitcher he was before shoulder surgery

Feb 6, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

Jake Peavy

Dave Van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune asked Jake Peavy if he’s 100 percent healthy heading into spring training and the 30-year-old right-hander gave an answer that can’t be very encouraging to White Sox fans:

I’m as 100 percent as I can be. I don’t know if I’m 100 percent as to what I was four years ago. I know I’m as 100 percent as 100 percent is going to get after what I had done. I guess that’s the best way to say it.

What he “had done” was shoulder surgery in 2010.

Peavy was more effective last season than his ugly 4.92 ERA would suggest, posting a 95/24 K/BB ratio in 112 innings, but his average fastball clocked in at a career-low 90.7 miles per hour and since being traded to the White Sox in mid-2009 he’s started 38 games with a 4.49 ERA. Some of that is due to leaving the National League and pitcher-friendly Petco Park for the American League and hitter-friendly U.S. Cellular Field, but based on his stuff and results Peavy is definitely correct that he hasn’t been the same since exiting San Diego.

And unfortunately for the White Sox he’s owed $17 million this season and will have to be bought out for $4 million–instead of a $22 million option–next year.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Oh good, this proves that Peavy is a common day Einstein.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

By my count, that makes him pretty sure that he isn’t 400%, right? Well damn, who is?

• Old Gator - Feb 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I don’t think that’s what he means. When the procedure was concluded, he was Bob Peavy.

2. b7p19 - Feb 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

That herky jerky motion was always a time bomb for arm problems. Too bad, I always liked Peavy.

• vanmorrissey - Feb 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM

And I don’t think it was the “traditional” shoulder surgery. He had the detached lat muscle which from what I recall, can’t remember having happened before. Where the lat actually separates from the bone which could have been a result of overcompensating due to the ankle problem he had that year. Love him as the competitor he is though.

3. brianbowman16 - Feb 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I wonder why he isn’t thanking his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for being as 100% as he can be…..

Funny how that only comes up when something good happens and theres a big audience

• Utley's Hair - Feb 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM

And yet it comes up all over the damn place in comments on blogs, even when nothing of the sort was even mentioned in the original post or story.

4. El Bravo - Feb 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM

So can the White Sox now adjust their contract for this new, unimproved Peavy?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Nope. Teams should never pay the price of a purchase they may not want.

• El Bravo - Feb 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM

True that….or else the Cubs would have adjusted Soriano’s to be $1 per year.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Exactly.

• Cris E - Feb 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM

“I know I’m [going to be paid] as 100 percent as 100 percent is going to get after what I had done. I guess that’s the best way to say it.”

5. themohel - Feb 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM

He had a detached lat muscle, which is an extremely rare injury for a pitcher, and he is in uncharted territory. He probably is just saying that he is doesn’t know how good he’ll be in the future. But he didn’t have a traditional shoulder injury that has a history with dozens of previous pitchers.

Three legends off to Cooperstown