Feb 6, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Jackson’s career was derailed by valley fever in 2009. At the time he was a 27-year-old former first-round pick with a .287 career batting average and .810 OPS in 454 games, but in three seasons since then he’s hit just .224 with a .635 OPS in 204 games.
He made $3.3 million last year while playing for the A’s and Red Sox, but will have to compete for a spot as a right-handed bench bat.
Beimel is 35 years old and coming off his worst season since 2004, but he posted a sub-4.00 ERA every year from 2005-2010 and could be useful as a left-handed specialist or middle reliever. Texas has plenty of bullpen depth overall, but not much in the way of veteran southpaws.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 42
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 108
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (114)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)