Feb 6, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe makes it clear that “there’s no room on the Red Sox roster for him” after they signed Kelly Shoppach to platoon with Jarrod Saltalamacchia and speculates that Varitek is pondering retirement after 14 seasons.
Ivan Rodriguez also remains unsigned, so Varitek may not even be a team’s main emergency target if a catcher gets hurt during spring training. Varitek hit .221 with a .300 on-base percentage and .423 slugging percentage in 68 games last season, which is actually right around average production for a catcher, but he also threw out just 14 percent of steal attempts as teams ran wild on him.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 15
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 71
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 13
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 92
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)