Feb 6, 2012, 5:14 PM EST
In December the Cubs reportedly balked at trading Blake DeWitt to the Rockies for Ian Stewart. Now they’ve designated him for assignment instead.
The move was necessitated by the Cubs claiming Adrian Cardenas on waivers from the Athletics, so the Cubs have essentially traded a 26 year-old utilityman for a 24-year-old one.
Cardenas had a nice year at Sacramento last season, but it was his third go-around in Triple-A, so it’s not like this is a total game-changer or anything.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 103
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 9
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 34
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (114)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)