Feb 6, 2012, 5:14 PM EST
In December the Cubs reportedly balked at trading Blake DeWitt to the Rockies for Ian Stewart. Now they’ve designated him for assignment instead.
The move was necessitated by the Cubs claiming Adrian Cardenas on waivers from the Athletics, so the Cubs have essentially traded a 26 year-old utilityman for a 24-year-old one.
Cardenas had a nice year at Sacramento last season, but it was his third go-around in Triple-A, so it’s not like this is a total game-changer or anything.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)