Feb 6, 2012, 5:14 PM EDT
In December the Cubs reportedly balked at trading Blake DeWitt to the Rockies for Ian Stewart. Now they’ve designated him for assignment instead.
The move was necessitated by the Cubs claiming Adrian Cardenas on waivers from the Athletics, so the Cubs have essentially traded a 26 year-old utilityman for a 24-year-old one.
Cardenas had a nice year at Sacramento last season, but it was his third go-around in Triple-A, so it’s not like this is a total game-changer or anything.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 28
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 64
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)