Feb 7, 2012, 4:20 PM EST
The timetable for the A’s rebuilding plan keeps getting pushed back further and further as the team tries to time a return to contention with the possible opening of a new ballpark, but however long it takes general manager Billy Beane will be around to see it through.
A’s owner Lewis Wolff said today during an interview on Bloomberg Television that Beane has agreed to a contract extension that will run through 2019 and the deal will become official soon.
Beane has long been considered one of baseball’s best GMs and he’s certainly the most famous now that Brad Pitt has portrayed him on the big screen, but the A’s haven’t had a winning season since 2006 and don’t appear close to turning things around after once again trading young major leaguers for prospects this offseason.
Revenue and payroll limitations play a huge role in the moves Beane has made, but the A’s also haven’t drafted particularly well of late and have traded away several young players who went on to make significant impacts elsewhere. In recent years Beane has also acquired quite a few mediocre veterans in head-scratching deals, leading to even his longtime supporters in the sabermetric community questioning his decision-making.
In addition to Beane’s extension, team president Michael Crowley also agreed to a deal that runs through 2019. Crowley, like Beane, has an ownership stake in the A’s.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)