Feb 7, 2012, 4:20 PM EDT
The timetable for the A’s rebuilding plan keeps getting pushed back further and further as the team tries to time a return to contention with the possible opening of a new ballpark, but however long it takes general manager Billy Beane will be around to see it through.
A’s owner Lewis Wolff said today during an interview on Bloomberg Television that Beane has agreed to a contract extension that will run through 2019 and the deal will become official soon.
Beane has long been considered one of baseball’s best GMs and he’s certainly the most famous now that Brad Pitt has portrayed him on the big screen, but the A’s haven’t had a winning season since 2006 and don’t appear close to turning things around after once again trading young major leaguers for prospects this offseason.
Revenue and payroll limitations play a huge role in the moves Beane has made, but the A’s also haven’t drafted particularly well of late and have traded away several young players who went on to make significant impacts elsewhere. In recent years Beane has also acquired quite a few mediocre veterans in head-scratching deals, leading to even his longtime supporters in the sabermetric community questioning his decision-making.
In addition to Beane’s extension, team president Michael Crowley also agreed to a deal that runs through 2019. Crowley, like Beane, has an ownership stake in the A’s.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)