Feb 7, 2012, 7:45 PM EDT
We’ve chronicled Dmitri Young’s comeback attempt for a couple of months now. Thanks to no longer eating like a viking, the 38-year-old has trimmed down pretty significantly in hopes of scoring a spring training invite. Well, after working out for the Phillies late last month, it appears he has another lead.
Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reports that Young will work out for the Pirates next week at the team’s spring training home in Bradenton, Florida. Pirates’ skipper Clint Hurdle is expected to be on hand for the occasion.
This is a pretty easy comeback story to root for, but the odds of him latching on with an MLB team are still pretty long, as Young hasn’t played in the big leagues since 2008 as a member of the Nationals. And though we’re working with a small sample here, “Da Meat Hook” batted just .167 (11-for-66) over 20 games before being released by his winter league team in Venezuela.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)