Great Moments in Musical Numbers Involving Baseball

Feb 7, 2012, 11:42 AM EDT

Smash NBC

Due to a misunderstanding with the wonderful Ms. Markie Post and a restraining order that is totally bogus, my contract with NBC specifically forbids me from talking about “Night Court.”  But I think I can talk about other NBC entertainment programming without running afoul of the contract.

Well, “Quantum Leap” may be off limits too, but that’s Dean Stockwell’s fault and HE KNOWS WHAT HE DID.

Anyway, a new show debuted on NBC last night. Because I really don’t watch much TV I hadn’t heard of it until, like, yesterday. It’s called “Smash” and it’s a musical and the very fact that I’m explaining it when all of you have probably already heard of it just underscores how out of touch I am with these things. It’s OK.

The reason I mention it is that there was a musical number about baseball in it. I gather that the overall plot of the show is pretty people making a musical about Marilyn Monroe, and that the baseball number is about her meeting Joe DiMaggio.  Anyway, this is it if you’re into that sort of thing.

Look, I realize that musicals in general and “Smash” specifically aren’t intended for the same demographics as the sports blogs are. But really, would it have hurt NBC to throw in some HardballTalk product placement here? Like, have Debra Messing hold up an iPad with HBT on it?

Synergy, people. Gosh.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 7, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I’m so baseball depraved, the only ‘Smash’ I want to think about is one involving the bat of Mike Stanton or Michael Morse against a ball pitched by Edwin Jackson.

• fearlessleader - Feb 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I think perhaps you meant “deprived.” And I say that as someone who is certifiably baseball-depraved.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM

You see my point.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Bah, nevermind, we need edit buttons.

Bottom line: BASEBALL PLEASE!

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Feb 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Reading the posts over the last couple of weeks brought back memories of when my kids were really little. A week or two before their birthdays, they’d get sort of nuts–anticipating an overload of presents, cake, candy and ice cream.

Baseball’s coming, kids . . . try to hang on.

• cur68 - Feb 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM

2. sdelmonte - Feb 7, 2012 at 12:10 PM

There was a baseball episode of Quantum Leap. Maybe more than one, I think. I think that would allow you to dodge the restraining order.

And if you want to talk musicals, there’s always “Damn Yankees.”

3. daisycutter1 - Feb 7, 2012 at 12:17 PM

When I opened the NBC link and saw, full-screen, that the uniform pinstripes are made of glittering, fabulous sequins, that was my cue to close the window immediately.

4. acheron2112 - Feb 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM

We’re still waiting for a post about “baseball on Deep Space Nine”, though since Star Trek is owned by CBS now, that may be forbidden?

• umrguy42 - Feb 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM

No, no, we had that one already: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/04/the-nerdiest-baseball-article-youll-ever-see-ever-really/

5. Jonny 5 - Feb 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Madonna and musicals. This represents the lowest of lows a sports blog has to stoop to in reporting baseball activities this close to spring training. I will not judge, I will read thankfully while praying for spring.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM

You were the one to bring up New Kids on the Block. You’re a bad man, Jonny5…a VERY BAD man!!!!!!!

• Jonny 5 - Feb 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Oh oh oh oh oh- The right stuff…

6. philsieg - Feb 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM

After watching the video, I don’t think the national pastime they’re singing about is the same one you’re writing about.

7. Francisco (FC) - Feb 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM

What’s your beef with Dean? I met him a couple of years ago, fairly quiet guy. He did crack a smile when my wife asked him what was his plan…

8. capeporpoise - Feb 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM

For baseball musical numbers, you still can’t beat that title song from ‘Bang the Drum Slowly’. Not sure it was so danceable, though.

9. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 7, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Didn’t a Braves coach get in trouble last year for the same dance moves on display in that video? I’m also wondering if they can cram any more gay stereotypes into that show, though I couldn’t imagine how.

10. proudlycanadian - Feb 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM

You can’t write about “Night Court”? Harry? Bull?

• Utley's Hair - Feb 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Dan “Reinhold” Fielding

11. Gamera the Brave - Feb 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Markie Post…
    Aaaaaaahhhhhh…..

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3278)