Feb 7, 2012, 11:42 AM EST
Due to a misunderstanding with the wonderful Ms. Markie Post and a restraining order that is totally bogus, my contract with NBC specifically forbids me from talking about “Night Court.” But I think I can talk about other NBC entertainment programming without running afoul of the contract.
Well, “Quantum Leap” may be off limits too, but that’s Dean Stockwell’s fault and HE KNOWS WHAT HE DID.
Anyway, a new show debuted on NBC last night. Because I really don’t watch much TV I hadn’t heard of it until, like, yesterday. It’s called “Smash” and it’s a musical and the very fact that I’m explaining it when all of you have probably already heard of it just underscores how out of touch I am with these things. It’s OK.
The reason I mention it is that there was a musical number about baseball in it. I gather that the overall plot of the show is pretty people making a musical about Marilyn Monroe, and that the baseball number is about her meeting Joe DiMaggio. Anyway, this is it if you’re into that sort of thing.
Look, I realize that musicals in general and “Smash” specifically aren’t intended for the same demographics as the sports blogs are. But really, would it have hurt NBC to throw in some HardballTalk product placement here? Like, have Debra Messing hold up an iPad with HBT on it?
Synergy, people. Gosh.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 42
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 108
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (114)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)