Reds GM is “sick and tired” of Roy Oswalt rumors

Feb 7, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

Walt Jocketty AP

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said yesterday that he hadn’t talked to Roy Oswalt‘s agents in a week, but a short time later Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reported that the two sides were “still in talks.”

Jocketty apparently read that and various other rumors linking the Reds to Oswalt, and he’s fed up with the whole thing. Here’s what he told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:

It’s all rumors. I’m sick and tired of it. We’ve had no serious talks. We’ve had no contact with the player.

You may recall that earlier this offseason Jocketty said the Reds’ lack of significant moves were “very frustrating” only to pull off a big trade with the Padres for Mat Latos and another sizable deal with the Cubs for Sean Marshall.

And for whatever reason no teams seem willing to admit that they’re negotiating with Oswalt. Except for maybe the Pirates, and he turned them down instantly.

1. shaggylocks - Feb 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM

“Sick and tired” of rumors? Just like Detroit said Prince Fielder was “not a good fit” four days before signing him?

Hang on to your hats, Cincinnati, looks like you’re getting a new pitcher!

• brucewaynewins - Feb 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

We’re hoping Uncle Walt comes through.

2. Francisco (FC) - Feb 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM

In others words, an Oswalt signing is imminent!

3. muckthefets23 - Feb 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM

People in the queens city already pre-ordered their Oswalt jerseys for the season I’m assuming.

• brucewaynewins - Feb 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I just tried to make a custom Oswalt jersey so I could show the image to friends to rile them up. MLB.com blocked me from creating it. It mentioned something about current and past players. I tried with Manny and other free agents and it let me every single time. I tried a few retired players like Clemens and it also let me try. I did this with their last names and the number they wore.

I’m sure it’s nothing though.

4. brucewaynewins - Feb 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM

*Enters dreamland*

Ok Walt sign Oswalt and then trade Bailey and ATM machine to the Mets in return David Wright.

Nobody wake me up.

5. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM

He’s trying to misdirect attention because he doesn’t want his fans to be dissapointed that he’s done very little to make his team better this offseason.

• brucewaynewins - Feb 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I’d have to disagree. We got Madsen, Latos, Sean Marshall, and got rid of some fat with Volquez. We have a rookie shortstop and a rookie at a catcher.

I’d like some more stability at 3B or somebody to play everyday who can hit and help Votto. This I believe was the only major failing of the off season. But who knows how the rookies and guys getting their first chance as starters will turn out.

Reds fans are more excited and optimistic than they’ve been in a while.

Is our team perfect? No. Improved for 2012? Absolutely.

I feel both Cardinals and Reds have a better chance than the Brewers at taking the Central. I guess we’ll see in September.

I’d be more worried if my team just lost one of its best players to free agency and my one of my other best players for half a season. To me that’s a disappointing off season from a fan perspective.

• metalhead65 - Feb 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM

as far as 3rd base goes I think they should give most of the playing time to fransico in order to at have the chance to have rolen stay healthy this year. yes he and cozart are young but you have to give them a chance. if they keep signing veteran rejects then that is who dusty will play. fransisco did not look as bad defensivly as people made him out to be in his very brief audtition last year. before he was hurt cozart looked like the real deal but since they signed a guy and got somebody from philly you can bet dusty will give them the playing time over cozart. as for left field just forget about Heisey he is doomed to be a pinch hitter since they overpaid ludwick. and no way does a washed up ex-card not get to play before him.

• paperlions - Feb 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Crew is kind of right though….Latos and Marshall are “real” additions. Madson essentially replaces Cordero, who was pretty good last year. Last year they won 79 games, and they can’t really expect much more out of Votto or Phillips than they got last year…..someone else on offense has to step up….as will some of the 3-5 spot pitchers. I don’t think the Reds suck, but they just feel like a slightly above .500 team right now…85 wins or so if they don’t have any injuries.

Not sure that is enough to win the division. The Cardinals are better than they were to start last year and the Brewers aren’t much worse off either (losing Prince hurt, but Ramirez should pick up most of that slack….a lot depends on Braun’s appeal)

• brewcrewfan54 - Feb 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM

While the Brewers offseason wasn’t anything special the only surprise was the Braun thing and he’s not out yet although I anticipate he will be. As far as what the Reds have done I’ll admit I forgot about getting Latos. The fact is I still don’t think much of their pitching staff and the lineup has potential but isn’t anything special as a whole in my opinion. Spring training is right areound the corner though. These are fun arguments to be having again!

6. yettyskills - Feb 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Walt you need to toughen up. Welcome to being a GM in 2012. Writers and bloggers want people reading Walt, get over it, it’s part of the deal

7. aceshigh11 - Feb 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM

So…you’re saying there’s a chance?

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate