The 911 call from James Loney’s freeway incident is released

Feb 7, 2012, 10:28 PM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers v San Francisco Giants Getty Images

TMZ has the audio of the 911 call from a witness at the scene after James Loney crashed into several cars with his Maserati on an L.A. freeway in November.

The call, which is nearly five minutes in length, begins with Loney passed out in the driver’s seat, but the witness becomes frantic after the 27-year-old first baseman wakes up and tries to flee the scene.

“Oh my god! Oh my god! He tried to leave the scene … He woke up, and he slammed on the gas and took off across all the lanes on the freeway.”

Loney was eventually arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence. He refused to take a breathalyzer test, even spitting the mouthpiece back at the cops, but a blood sample came back negative for drugs or alcohol. It was reported by TMZ last week that the L.A. City Attorney’s office was not pursuing charges “due to insufficient evidence to proceed.”

1. aaronmoreno - Feb 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM

No driving for a year, then.

2. jya87 - Feb 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I’m a fan of this blog.

And I know it’s the offseason, baseball news is slow, but really, I’m not a fan of these “You heard it at TMZ first!” posts.

3. hammyofdoom - Feb 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Ya know if the guy REALLY was knocked the hell out and woke up in that situation I wouldnt be surprised that his first instinct would be to drive away

• paperlions - Feb 8, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Yeah, I sure as hell wouldn’t think to call 911 or make sure everyone was okay or wait for the cops to file the accident report. Nope, I just get the hell out of there.

• amaninwhite - Feb 8, 2012 at 8:09 AM

It’s not always like that paperlions. Just because you regain consciousness after being knocked out doesn’t always mean your mind has fully regained its senses. I knew a guy who once got knocked out after a pretty nasty fall at work. After waking up, rather than finding someone to help them out, they traveled a greater distance to find the first comfortable place they could to rest. Afterward, this person had no recollection of doing this. It’s an instinct that kicks in, like that of a wounded animal, where all you can comprehend is your immediate survival. I’m not saying that this is what Loney did, but that maybe you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly either.

4. Jonny 5 - Feb 8, 2012 at 8:32 AM

This story sounds very much like several diabetic shock stories I’ve heard in the past.

5. hasbeen5 - Feb 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Waking up and not knowing what happened is possible, but why call the girl a crazy bitch and drive off?

• koufaxmitzvah - Feb 8, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Because sometimes shit just happens.

6. JBerardi - Feb 8, 2012 at 8:50 AM

At least he wasn’t using steroids.

• vivabear - Feb 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Prove it.

• poprox13 - Feb 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM

His batting stats

• paperlions - Feb 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

A lot of guys have used steroids and can’t hit.

Hell, more that 1/2 the guys that have been caught for steroids are pitchers….and they still can’t hit.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3791)