Feb 7, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
It was announced yesterday that the Marlins lost their arbitration hearing to right-hander Anibal Sanchez, but the club went right back at it today, this time stating their case against Emilio Bonifacio.
Bonifacio, who is arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, requested $2.2 million and was offered $1.95 million from the Marlins when arbitration figures were exchanged last month. According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the three-person panel of arbitrators could render a decision on the player’s 2012 salary as soon as tomorrow.
Bonifacio, who turns 27 in April, is coming off a career-year in which he batted .296/.360/.393 with five home runs, 36 RBI, 40 stolen bases and a .753 OPS while making starts at third base, second base, shortstop and all three outfield positions. He is expected to open this season as the Marlins’ starting center fielder.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)