Feb 7, 2012, 12:17 AM EDT
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer on Sunday that he hadn’t spoken with the agent Roy Oswalt in about a week while adding that “the last we heard he was going to Texas.” Either Jocketty was being coy or something has changed in the past day or so, because Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com are now reporting that the Reds “remain in talks” with the veteran right-hander.
Rosenthal actually reported on Saturday that the Reds, Red Sox and Phillies had maintained contact with Oswalt’s representatives, but was later told that Cincinnati had merely kicked the tires and weren’t actively involved in negotiations. It turns out he may have been right the first time.
Oswalt would still prefer to pitch for the Rangers or Cardinals, but since both clubs have full starting rotations, he’s having a hard time landing the one-year, $8-10 million salary he reportedly covets. The Reds also have a full slate of starters, but it looks like they are hoping to take advantage of a depressed market in order to make a deal work. They would have to move salary in order to sign him and Homer Bailey is considered the most likely trade candidate.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)