Feb 7, 2012, 12:17 AM EDT
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer on Sunday that he hadn’t spoken with the agent Roy Oswalt in about a week while adding that “the last we heard he was going to Texas.” Either Jocketty was being coy or something has changed in the past day or so, because Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com are now reporting that the Reds “remain in talks” with the veteran right-hander.
Rosenthal actually reported on Saturday that the Reds, Red Sox and Phillies had maintained contact with Oswalt’s representatives, but was later told that Cincinnati had merely kicked the tires and weren’t actively involved in negotiations. It turns out he may have been right the first time.
Oswalt would still prefer to pitch for the Rangers or Cardinals, but since both clubs have full starting rotations, he’s having a hard time landing the one-year, $8-10 million salary he reportedly covets. The Reds also have a full slate of starters, but it looks like they are hoping to take advantage of a depressed market in order to make a deal work. They would have to move salary in order to sign him and Homer Bailey is considered the most likely trade candidate.
- Mets acquire center fielder Carlos Gomez from Brewers 1
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 38
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 66
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)