Feb 7, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Marlins president David Samson said recently that they hoped to give Cespedes a tour of the new ballpark in Miami, but Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that it’s unclear if the 26-year-old outfielder plans to meet with other teams while visiting from the Dominican Republic.
Samson revealed that the Marlins are “are aggressively negotiating a contract” with Cespedes, who ceased playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic after an ugly 10-game stint that had many wondering why he’d risk lowering his value by participating. Cespedes’ agent, Adam Katz, said last week that he plans to sign with a team in time to report for spring training.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)