Feb 7, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Marlins president David Samson said recently that they hoped to give Cespedes a tour of the new ballpark in Miami, but Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that it’s unclear if the 26-year-old outfielder plans to meet with other teams while visiting from the Dominican Republic.
Samson revealed that the Marlins are “are aggressively negotiating a contract” with Cespedes, who ceased playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic after an ugly 10-game stint that had many wondering why he’d risk lowering his value by participating. Cespedes’ agent, Adam Katz, said last week that he plans to sign with a team in time to report for spring training.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)