Feb 7, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Marlins president David Samson said recently that they hoped to give Cespedes a tour of the new ballpark in Miami, but Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that it’s unclear if the 26-year-old outfielder plans to meet with other teams while visiting from the Dominican Republic.
Samson revealed that the Marlins are “are aggressively negotiating a contract” with Cespedes, who ceased playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic after an ugly 10-game stint that had many wondering why he’d risk lowering his value by participating. Cespedes’ agent, Adam Katz, said last week that he plans to sign with a team in time to report for spring training.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 0
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 20
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)